can I use front derailleur for standard and compact chainset

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited September 2013 in Workshop
hi,will my front derailleur work with a standard chainset and a compact one without having to reposition it every time I swap chain sets over.
Reason I ask is I want to use a compact for hills normal road and the standard for TTing.
thanks.
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    No, the FD will need to be moved up the seat tube when on a standard chainring and down the seat tube when on a compact set
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Stay with the compact, I'm sure you won't need anything bigger than 50 teeth on the front.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Simon E wrote:
    Stay with the compact, I'm sure you won't need anything bigger than 50 teeth on the front.

34/50 is a poor crank for TTing. 39/53 is going to give the best gearing options.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Overlord2 wrote:
    Simon E wrote:

34/50 is a poor crank for TTing. 39/53 is going to give the best gearing options.
    A "poor" crank? Poor advice, more like. How on earth do people with compacts manage to pedal at all? :roll:

Karl is looking to do his first club TT in the spring, he's not chasing course records just yet. In the unlikely event that he finds it is inadequate there's nothing to stop him fitting a larger chainring later.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Once you develop the fitness for 53/39 you will not go back. 34/50 has me changing rings all the time whereas with 39/53T I can stay in the small ring and spin for a club run. You can climb steep stuff on a standard double I do.

Compacts are cheaper alterntive to triples so they suit more riders than they don't that is why they are popular, nothing wrong with them but for faster riders you be flipping between rings alot or cross chain too much.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.