Waterproof trousers

Simbo_RFC
Simbo_RFC Posts: 20
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Who wears waterproof trousers for trail riding?? What do you wear?

I was going to buy altura attack x waterproof trousers but can't seem to be able to find them in size large. Are they that much better than the altura attack??

Recommend me a pair of trousers, my budget is around £80

Comments

• Huggies ....... last all night without getting wet . Can get free samples online . Superman and Thomas the Tank engine designs are particularly good .

Even at 80.00 bikeradar review notes Altura let moisture in around knees . To be honest unless you pay a fortune for breathable gear then heat build up will create sweat and discomfort.

I intend carrying on in my shorts , hitting the first muddy section I can find and then not worrying any more .

Or you could grab this bargain for emergencies
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... -trousers/
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    unless you're covering up work clothes then your skin is waterproof.

I've just got some endure spray shorts with the waterproof arse as I hate getting cold. other than that it's shorts all year around for me
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Plus one, shorts (water repelling) with knee warmers if it gets fairly cold, full length just makes you very sweaty!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I used the Altura attacks all last winter and got on really well with them, those with some leggings and I didn't get cold either.

• Or you could grab this bargain for emergencies
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/t ... -trousers/

I have them, i wore them once but figured i was just as wet with sweat as i would have been had i not worn them. I wear them walking the dogs now nd they suffice for that.

I bought some of the leg warmer type trousers from there today, hopefully my lungs will handle the cold better this year and allow me to ride an extra couple of months.
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • I bought some of the leg warmer type trousers from there today,

The ones with the coolmax pad? Me too - bargain at £13.99. Wear 'em instead of undershorts under baggies when it gets colder.
  • Trespass snowboarding trousers, TOP quality and periodically available at TK Max for about a £10ner
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    just out of interest, why do people wear trousers?

I've been out riding in about -5 probably more with windchill, in shorts and with my knee pads on I've never been too cold.

I know it's horses for courses, I was just wondering why? is it psychological?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wear tights under baggies when it's cold. Also helps to just peal the mud off your legs.
    Plus I look good in tights.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lincoln green?

Baggies and knee warmers work fine on an MTB for me down to -5 or so, on my commuter with higher average speeds I use tights at a slightly warmer temp.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.