Scott CX Team Brake Mounts

kwozzymodo
kwozzymodo Posts: 45
edited September 2013 in Cyclocross
Hi,

I have just purchased a Scott CX Team frame of 2010 vintage and have a couple of questions on brake mounts.

I've bought a Tektro 1277A fork-mounted cable hanger but have found that the bolts for the hanger are 6M (6mm diameter) for the male bolt which goes through the front of the fork and 8M (8mm) for the female bolt (which goes throught the back of the fork (threading onto the front bolt to lock front and back bolts together - if you have mounted Shimano road brakes you will get the gist). The fork itself has a 5mm threaded hole at the front and a 5mm diameter hole at the back (unthreaded). Do I drill the fork to accommodate these bolts, or are there suitable replacement bolts that fit?

On the back end, there is a bridge across the rear seat stays with a threaded mount where I route the rear brake cable (before I attach the straddle mount for caliper brakes), which I assume takes a brake barrel adjuster. All the adjusters I have seen are 6mm diameter thread, but the mount on the frame is around 4mm (according to the measurement I made with a caliper). Is there such an animal as a 4mm threaded barrel adjuster for the rear mount?

Drill and hammer at the ready.., but are there solutions with more finesse??

Cheers.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Before you start drilling your fork, check what material it's made from - if it's aluminium alloy, then OK but I'd be wary if it was a carbon fork crown (expect it's alloy). I would try and find a 5mm bolt that's long enough to go right through and fit a washer and nut on the other end if you don't fancy taking a drill to your forks.

Most cable adjusters are 5mm thread, try the one from your rear mech for size. Campagnolo rear mech ones are 4mm if you're really stuck.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks for the advice. The fork crown is aluminium so I will try to drill out the rear to fit the sleeve bolt. You are right about the adjuster. I pulled one off a derailleur and it fitted, so an M5 is what is required.

Cheers.