squeeky front forks.

gmack
gmack Posts: 12
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi. Ive just bought a bike with sr suntour m-3000al forks and they are really squeeky. The forks have no lockout/preload etc,just basic coil springs. Any advice what to do? I tried greasing them up but no change. Noise is definately springs and not steerer bearings etc. I dont mind stripping them if its not too hard. Any help appreciated folks.

Comments

• Let them bed in!
  • gmack
    The bikes 4 months old
  • You have a different definition of just to me then!
  • gmack
    Seriously? " ive just bought a bike" = i bought a bike this afternoon. Sorry i thought it made perfect sense albeit i perhaps should have added the term "secondhand". It is a 2013 but june and had 4 months hard use. Guess i should have used smileys here to indicate im jesting plus english isnt my first language.forgot how serious this place can be.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Put up with it, or strip the forks down to remove the spring and slather it in grease (LOTS, and then more besides).

To most people JUST means you've done 1 or 2 rides, well you may have only done that I guess in which case they may still need bedding in!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gmack
    Thank you Rookie. I will attempt to strip them down this weekend. Shouldnt be too difficult with them being so basic,hope so anyway as no way i could ever get used to that noise..

As for the english lesson, 2 v 1 against me is enough for me to concede although i cant for life of me see where you get it from. Thank you both for your input.
  • The Rookie
    Got it froim a dictionary

2. Only a moment ago: He just arrived
    or from another
    9. within a brief preceding time; but a moment before: The sun just came out.

ergo a few months is not 'just' however not an issue now!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Got it froim a dictionary

2. Only a moment ago: He just arrived
    or from another
    9. within a brief preceding time; but a moment before: The sun just came out.

ergo a few months is not 'just' however not an issue now!

another pendent thread ?

He bought it this PM, that counts as JUST to my point of view.

Though its appropriate use depends on relative time scales, if you were considering at the age of the earth it would be quite fair to say homo sapiens had JUST arrived, a couple of million years or so, is a brief period of time compared with 4 billion.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just to be pedantic, that would be pedant, not pendent, which is something that dangles, for instance, off your vajazzle.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Just to be pedantic, that would be pedant, not pendent, which is something that dangles, for instance, off your vajazzle.

would it ? i mean one that swung back and forth, like eer a pendent, with out getting anywhere
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    slickmouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

would it ? i mean one that swung back and forth, like eer a pendent, with out getting anywhere
    Keep digging.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • To op make sure it's suspension grease as some will kill seals ( not the fluffy animals they kill with clubs )
  • Since when have you seen a seal kill with a club?
  • The Rookie
    To op make sure it's suspension grease as some will kill seals ( not the fluffy animals they kill with clubs )
    It's a SR Suntour S3000, it has nothing that can be called a seal in the first place!

'Red rubber grease' is best for the cheap forks.
  • It's a SR Suntour S3000, it has nothing that can be called a seal in the first place!

'Red rubber grease' is best for the cheap forks.

Interesting you recommend a product that won't harm seals .
    viewtopic.php?p=16395513u
  • gmack
    Luckily im into cycling and not grammar classes so maybe this isnt the forum for me :P

Stripped the forks last night. Easy job. Greased up springs with normal multi purpose grease. Rebuilt and nice quiet front end :D Thanks for the info and advice.