1x10 conversion

BigJimmyB
BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
GDay,

I'm looking to convert to a 1x10 set up from 3x9 and am looking at parts - could use some help.

So far I've looked at the following:

Rear mech:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... 3godG3IAHw
Shifter:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... 3godpXQAuw
Cassette:Not sure - would appreciate recommendations on tooth spacing
Front Ring: Is it better to buy a 3 ring set up (I've seen this suggested) and swap the rings out for a 'dedicated' singke ring.

Chain:Would appreciate suggestions too!

Need to keep the budget sensible!

Am a complete luddite when it comes to this so appreciate any help.

I should mention I have a Commencal Meta 55 VIP and ride mainly XC/Trail.

Thanks in advance
BJB

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Unles there's some reason not to (an FS frame with lots of chain-growth), a short-cage mech is preferable; Zee or Saint. Personally I'd go with an 11-36 cassette since the wider range is half the point of 10spd. You can still use your current chainset, just with a single ring or thick/thin one (if not this then a guide will be needed). If you want a new chainset anyway, I'd tend to go with a triple and then sell the rings it comes with. Chain: whatever 10spd KMC you can find cheap.

Edit: and short bolts for the converted chainset.
  • I would stick with a mid cage mech on an xc bike, short cage is on the limit with a 11-36 cassette especially with chain growth as well.
    I have 1x9 on my xc bike but its pretty much the same set up for 1x10.
    If its for xc/trail riding I would go for XT mid cage mech and shifter, SLX or XT cranks, Renthal CR4 chain ring amd an Ethirteen XCX chain guide.
    If you buy the shimano parts from ze Germans there are some really good discounts. I know people swear by the thick thin type chain rings but I like the security of a guide.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Seeing as how a short cgae Zee or Saint is designed to work on an 8" travel DH bike I don't see an issue with using one on a 1x10 FS.

No point having an 11-34 cassette on a 1x10 as you may as well have 1x9 and save a wedge of money!

Anything wrong with the cranks you have? If not use them!

I run 1x9 on 2 bikes one uses an old front mech as cable guide the other runs a bash and an inner guide ring and has been 100% secure including on some quite severely bumpy downhill sections, but going 1x10 you can have a clutched mech and a thick thin chainring anway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Agree that there isn't much point in 10 speed if you aren't using an 11-36 cassette. A short cage mech should be fine, I use a Zee on my Marin with an 11-36 cassette without any problems and that bike has a lot of chain growth. An XT or SLX mech might be lighter than a Zee though.

I would definitely get a narrow wide ring from Raceface or Works etc, they really do work. I used to drop the chain regularly on my rigid with a Superstar XCR guide and Raceface single ring, switched to just a narrow wide Raceface without a guide and normal clutchless mech and no dropped chains in the few rides I've done. If you find you still need a guide you can always buy an upper guide as well for even better retention. If you were using the bike for a lot of harder riding, especially DH I would still always say use a full guide.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Ideally I'd like to go for a clutched rear mech and avoid a chain guide.

Being a luddite and completely confused by the different flavours of kit available (i.e. XT alone seems to have several m*** numbers - it's doing my head in!), can anyone recommend:

Rear mech
    Shifter
    Front Ring (how many teeth would best replace a 3x9?)
    Cassette (how many teeth would best replace a 3x9?)

I am budget-conscious, so something around the XT/SLX pricepoint would be nice.

I'm not being lazy, honest, I just can't figure out what's what and what will work best.

Thanks again.
    BJB
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Seeing as how a short cgae Zee or Saint is designed to work on an 8" travel DH bike I don't see an issue with using one on a 1x10

DH bikes dont use 11-36 cassettes. Most only use 11-28
  • DH bikes dont use 11-36 cassettes. Most only use 11-28

But the 'FR' spec Zee mech is designed for an 11-36 range
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    Ideally I'd like to go for a clutched rear mech and avoid a chain guide.

Being a luddite and completely confused by the different flavours of kit available (i.e. XT alone seems to have several m*** numbers - it's doing my head in!), can anyone recommend:

Rear mech
    Shifter
    Front Ring (how many teeth would best replace a 3x9?)
    Cassette (how many teeth would best replace a 3x9?)

Personally, I'd go Zee 'FR' mech, XT shifter (if you can find a single one for a decent price, if not Zee shifter too - just bought one from Merlin £30) XT 11-36t cassette. Front ring size, depends what and where you're riding and what shape you're in I guess

If I was building a 1x10 over here, I'd have to go maximum of 32t if I wanted any chance of getting up the bigger climbs and then I'd still probably be getting off and pushing a lot. How big are your local hills? What are your local trails like etc?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • peter413
    What Felix said except I would spend the extra for the XT or Saint shifter no matter what, maybe even XTR if your budget can stretch. I've got two XTR shifters and one Zee on my MTB's, all 1x10 (well the Rocky is 1x10 bits anyway, just doesn't have all the cogs). The XTR's are super nice, the Zee not so much. It's very chunky and just doesn't feel as nice to use, not very sharp feeling. Being able to shift up two gears at a time is nice as well, something you can't do with the Zee but I think you can with the new XT's and Saint's.

I've never needed more than a 32t chainring on my XC bikes, even on the road. If you feel that you need it though Raceface do a 30t chainring.
  • yep - the Zee shifter is not a patch on the XT. It will make it's way onto the DH bike at some point

Trek Session 8
  • peter413 wrote:
    What Felix said except I would spend the extra for the XT or Saint shifter no matter what, maybe even XTR if your budget can stretch. I've got two XTR shifters and one Zee on my MTB's, all 1x10 (well the Rocky is 1x10 bits anyway, just doesn't have all the cogs). The XTR's are super nice, the Zee not so much. It's very chunky and just doesn't feel as nice to use, not very sharp feeling. Being able to shift up two gears at a time is nice as well, something you can't do with the Zee but I think you can with the new XT's and Saint's.

I've never needed more than a 32t chainring on my XC bikes, even on the road. If you feel that you need it though Raceface do a 30t chainring.

Well that's not true :? you say you have a zee shifter? I have a Zee shifter and have the double shift function
  • Mine can't.

Trek Session 8
  • Really? I thought there was only one Zee shifter... how strange...
  • peter413
    I definitely have a Zee shifter. It's definitely for going up the cassette as in the paddle you can use either your finger or thumb for?
  • No, you can't use either your thumb or finger, only thumb.

You can push it till it clicks once for one shift, and then an extra 10-15mm for the second click, and second shift.

I dont think your're pushing your lever far enough.
  • peter413
    You either have a totally different shifter or are confused. There is the little paddle that you can use either your finger or thumb with, this only has one click on the Zee. Then there is the bigger paddle that is for your thumb only, this has 3 or 4 clicks. Little is to go up the cassette to a harder gear, bigger is to go down the cassette to an easier gear.

Definitely not able to push the paddle any further, it stops.
  • Yeah I think I was confused, my double shift is to go down to an easier gear, not up to the harder gear and is on the larger paddle. My smaller paddle only clicks and shifts once like you say. My larger paddle does only click twice though..
  • Your shifter sounds shite then. 9 spd xtr can get from the bottom, smallest cog to the biggest is two sweeps.
  • Your shifter sounds shite then. 9 spd xtr can get from the bottom, smallest cog to the biggest is two sweeps.

Haha, wow. Calling a zee shifter shite... When would you ever need to go through ten gears in two sweeps? A good rider wouldnt put himself in that posistion.
  • You can do the whole (10sp) cassette in 3 shifts with a Zee shifter (same as XT)

Trek Session 8

Haha, wow. Calling a zee shifter shite... When would you ever need to go through ten gears in two sweeps? A good rider wouldnt put himself in that posistion.

No I wasn't calling the Zee shifter shite, I was calling yours that as it takes 5 actuations to move up the block. Something's amiss there. And we're not all riding gods :-)
  • Pfft :roll:
  • peter413
    To be fair, I would and do call the Zee shifter a little bit shite, better than nothing if you can't afford anything else but I would never buy another one and wouldn't recommend them to anybody. I do think there's something wrong with your shifter if you can only shift two gears down at a time.

Try going down a fast downhill straight into a steep uphill, then you will need to be able to shift a large majority of the cassette quickly and smoothly.
  • peter413 wrote:
    To be fair, I would and do call the Zee shifter a little bit shite

:lol: - don't think it's any shiter than an SLX shifter - bit overly bulky perhaps
    peter413 wrote:
    Try going down a fast downhill straight into a steep uphill, then you will need to be able to shift a large majority of the cassette quickly and smoothly.

+1

Trek Session 8