Aldi cycle event starts tomorrow

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Just a heads up,the Aldi cycling event starts tomorrow and they have some good kit on offer.
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• I can particularly recommend their long sleeve yellow jerseys. I bought two last year and wore them all through the winter - often both at the same time. And all through the 'spring' for that matter, and I've just started wearing them again.

The shoes - while aren't amazing, are good for the price.
  • Yeah, not bad unless you take a size small, and then your choice is drastically reduced!

I fancied some merino stuff, but the blokes sizes only start at Medium.

Grrr!!

There was mention on this site that there is going to be another offering in November, including bib shorts (just in time for winter!)
  • Keep an eye out for Lidl too, they often do offerings at a similar time to Aldi.
  • I've heard some good reports on the shoes, my experience is negative on them.

First pair, MTB style, the Velcro started peeling off on the straps so I couldn't fasten them properly. These were swapped for the road style shoes.

After six weeks, I had a clipless moment at a road junction. In my panic I pulled my foot to get it out of the pedal. Turns out the metal plate in the sole had snapped where it was flexing while walking, and pulled rhe whole thing through the cleat hole leaving part of the sole still attached to the pedal. (Remember these are SPD, so you should be able to walk short distances no problem)
    The shoe upper was also splitting on the sides where it was creasing

Luckily I still had the receipt, and I got a refund, put £30 plus refund towards some Shimano shoes, and the difference is night and day
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The shoes are actually very good though obviously some duffers clearly slip through quality control. You should be able to get a good 10,000 miles out of them at least. The current ones are particularly good in terms of combining road styling (not the best looking shoes but at least they don't look as dreadful as Sidis) with good walking grip. They aren't that light though and they seem to be long for the size - toe overlap is more of an issue on these than my Fizik or Northwave shoes.

On the subject of the Northwaves - the Aldi shoes remained looking smart for vastly longer than the Northwaves!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Today the Daily Mirror (50p) comes with a £5 off if you spend £40 voucher for Aldi - very useful.
  • My Aldi shoes gave up earlier in the week (broken clean mounting) not too bad as they'd lasted all summer and good timing for the sale today. Except they didn't have any in my size :(. So it looks like I'm off to the bike shop to get some 'proper' shoes.
    Andy9964 wrote:

Luckily I still had the receipt, and I got a refund, put £30 plus refund towards some Shimano shoes, and the difference is night and day

But what is the difference, exactly? I've only ever ridden with Aldi shoes.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Andy9964 wrote:
    ... put £30 plus refund towards some Shimano shoes, and the difference is night and day

The difference between night and day is exactly 6.55pm tonight. Earlier tomorrow. :P
  • Just been in to my local Aldi and picked up a High Vis Bag Cover on sale at £5.99 (they do the silver reflective ones as well) Some full length winter trousers and a winter jersey for less than £30 total. Complete bargain, Trousers seem good and have gel padding and reflective markings.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I just got some winter trousers and for the money they seem a bargain.Can,t complain at these prices.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • I've been to my local 2 Aldi's this morning but the Merino Base layers i wanted were nowhere to be seen.

one staff member did say there was a queue before they opened at 8am though.

early bird and all that :-) maybe next time
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • MacLeod113 wrote:
    I've been to my local 2 Aldi's this morning but the Merino Base layers i wanted were nowhere to be seen.

one staff member did say there was a queue before they opened at 8am though.

early bird and all that :-) maybe next time

I had a look at these and to be honest they didn't seem that good quality......
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Picked up a couple of merino base layers but will probably return them as Sport Pursuit have some decent looking ones for £20. Issue I have with Aldi stuff is the sizing - I'm 6'2" and pushing 13 stone and even I find the smallest sizes they do too big. Its ridiculous, they must lose a massive amount of custom due to that alone. I picked up a women's merino as that might actually fit better but at the end of the day its a women's cut with pink stitching - worth the extra £4 to buy one elsewhere I think.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Me-109 wrote:
    Andy9964 wrote:
    ... put £30 plus refund towards some Shimano shoes, and the difference is night and day

The difference between night and day is exactly 6.55pm tonight. Earlier tomorrow. :P

Technically that's the difference between day and night, the difference between night and day will next be 07:01 tomorrow morning :wink: :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Just got the winter jacket (£15), hi vis shirt (£10), merino base (£15) and winter gloves (£5). The jacket replaces the previous aldi one which is just starting to wear a bit after 4 years or so.

BigMat - I have a 42" chest and all three items I bought are L - I shudder to think what size chest you have if the small is too big.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    bompington wrote:
    Just got the winter jacket (£15), hi vis shirt (£10), merino base (£15) and winter gloves (£5). The jacket replaces the previous aldi one which is just starting to wear a bit after 4 years or so.

BigMat - I have a 42" chest and all three items I bought are L - I shudder to think what size chest you have if the small is too big.

i have a 37'' chest and have the winter jacket in a small, bought it last year and it is one of the best bits of clothing I have. It usually gets worn with just a base layer under it and it is toasty, I am considering getting another one in a different colour for my mood swings. :)
  • arran77 wrote:
    Me-109 wrote:
    Andy9964 wrote:

Technically that's the difference between day and night, the difference between night and day will next be 07:01 tomorrow morning :wink: :P
    Looks like I picked the wrong/right phrase for the pedants :D

The Shimanos I bought are rigid from toe to heel and feel much more stable.They don't seem to bend much at all, even when crouching down to lock up my bike. The Aldi shoes flexed quite a bit, in comparison, in the same circumstances.

I must say though, if they had lasted longer, I would have been perfectly happy with them and probably bought another pair in the newer style

Once bitten...etc etc.

Anyway, just been and bought waterproof pants, winter gloves, micros LED's and a HRM
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Andy9964 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Me-109 wrote:
    Andy9964 wrote:

Looks like I picked the wrong/right phrase for the pedants :D

Yep, plenty of ficky puckers round here :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • My lovely wife has just come back with the winter gloves, leg warmers and overshoes for me. All in the right size too :shock: !
    pity they don't do Turbo trainers :D cant wait until November for the winter Bib tights.
  • My lovely wife has just come back with the winter gloves, leg warmers and overshoes for me. All in the right size too :shock: !
    pity they don't do Turbo trainers :D cant wait until November for the winter Bib tights.

Did they do those last year? I don't remember that.
  • i wont be able to go to ALDI until 7pm tonight ....gggrrrrrrrrr!! I hope theres plenty left for me.... specially the stand, HRM and plenty off merino tops
  • renewed my winter jacket with a new one, they are a bargain..
    so are the gloves but i managed to knacker the lining in my last pair so will be taking these off more carefully.
    skull cap things are good too.
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    Got HR monitor, overshoes, legwarmers, winter jersey and gloves.
    Leg warmers and winter Jersey look very good quality for the price.
    First HR monitor for me but at that price I don't care how long it lasts.
  • Got the winter jacket, gloves leg and arm warmers.the problem being the s/m arm warmers are massive and long, the leg warmers are large and fit fine but then I find both sets of warmers have a tag on that say arm warmers despite the cardboard packaging saying different. So I reckon I have 2 sets of leg warmers OR 2 sets of very long very big arm warmers

Has anyone else had this problem ??

Phil
    Road - Giant Defy 0
    Road - carrera virtuoso
    MTB - Kona cindercone MTB 1997
  • I noticed the tags and cardboard packaging didn't match!
  • bigmat
    The skull cap - fits fine for size (S/M) but the bit at the back is in the wrong place - starts behind my ears! What's that all about? Am I missing something? Have I got it on the wrong way round?
  • bigmat
    bompington wrote:

I'm a 38" chest (maybe 39" if such a thing exists). Its the medium stuff that is too big, most of the stuff I looked at didn't come in small. Also, I like a race ft with cycling gear, particularly with base layers. The medium merino is actually OK - would prefer a bit tighter but its fine. The women's one fit better other than being a couple of inches too short in the body.

Agree the jackets look good but I have a new Campagnolo one so didn't need one - still have my old Aldi one from 5 years ago anyway which whilst a bit tatty still does the job!
  • Yeah, not bad unless you take a size small, and then your choice is drastically reduced!

I fancied some merino stuff, but the blokes sizes only start at Medium.

Grrr!!

There was mention on this site that there is going to be another offering in November, including bib shorts (just in time for winter!)[/quote

I bought the women's size small, fit is fine.
  • Went to Aldi yesterday afternoon, very little left in store to fit, ended up with a can of GT85, just because it was cheap, problem is I'm not sure what to use it for on the bike, can it be used on chain/cassette, any advice would be useful, is it just another version of WD40?
  • i use it as a degreaser for cleaning the cassette and chain.