Which Type of Bike?

Gambler
Gambler Posts: 8
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm having problems trying to choose which type of bike is right for me. I have until 30-Sep to choose a bike through a cycle to work scheme.

I have read various guides about how to choose but still can't decide.

I started cycling to keep fit about 6 months ago when I started to pick up more injuries from running. My usual route is about 13 miles which I complete in just under an hour. I try to do this 2/3 times per week which I alternate with going for a run. The route is nearly all country lanes so the surface is not great.

I am currently using an old full suspension mountain bike with big knobbly tyres which is hard work but I am burning more calories and enjoy working up a sweat.

Initially I didn't know whether to go for a hybrid or a road bike.

I popped into Halfords after work the other day and have to admit I preferred the look of the mountain bikes !!

I keep reading people referring to their ‘winter’ bike. Is it the wrong time of year to buy and use an expensive bike?

A few weeks ago I went to a forest and absolutely loved it. My 7 year old son found it hard going but as he gets older I’m sure we will be doing some off roading together.

Pros of mountain bike:
1. Comfortable upright position.
2. The lanes I use are not great and full of holes etc. so the suspension helps here.
3. I can also go off road.
Cons:
1. Hard going when riding into the wind.
2. Slower than a road/hybrid.

I had been looking at road bikes around the £600 mark, Defy 5, Specialized Allez etc. Then I thought about the the Carrera TDF and Vulcan from Halfords, hence having two bikes for roughly the same price.

Now I’m wondering whether I should just try and fix my current bike, (needs new pedals and the gears don’t work properly) and maybe use thinner tyres?

I could then maybe use the scheme next year when I’ve had more time to decide what I really need.

Apologies for the long post, any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I had a similar dilemma, and eventually realised that it was a "Lowest common denominator" thing if you are talking about a compromise bike.

If you are interested in getting fit, then it doesn't matter if the bike makes things hard work - you'll get fitter if you have to put in more effort!

If you are thinking of heading onto MTB trails with your son (that was part of my thinking too) then you would be daft not to get a MTB.

My compromise was to get a Big RR 5.3 29er from Decathlon for about £350, which would be good enough for me on the MTB trails as I follow my 13 year old. Then when I fancied using it on the road, I swapped to some thinner road tyres, which were easy to come by for a 700c wheel.

In fact, I even did a duathlon at Oulton Park on it last spring - 1 lap run / 5 laps cycled / 1 lap run. Got overtaken by most on the ride, but didn't particularly care!

Its heavier than a hybrid bike would be, but the riding position would be similar, and its definitely tough enough to take on the trails.

If you cover the 13 miles to work in 1 hour, does it really matter if you "could" be covering that distance in, say, 52 minutes if you bought a road bike?

Matt
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    I think when people refer to their winter bike it's more a roadie thing and they don't want to be riding their full carbon steed in the depths of winter and so have a cheaper aluminium alternative.

I think the voodoo bantu comes recommended. Mountain bikings also probably the way to go fitness wise. The tyres are wide with more grip so there's more pedaling resistance and it's more all round fun than riding on a boring road with cars flying past you left, right and centre.
  • As above if you're going to go off road a mountain bike is the only way to go, possibly with some slick tyres to switch in if you'll be using it on the road for long periods.

in terms of fitness I find that road and mountain biking both help but in different ways. If you want to stress heart and lungs I find that road biking is the way to go - you can put in long, constant efforts without having to worry about hitting stuff/ slowing for corners. If you find the roads boring, find some different roads: I love road biking as I get to see so much more of the countryside where I live whereas the best mountain biking tends to be in forests and trees are boring.

On the other hand for strength and peak power output short, sharp hills on the road bike or mountain biking anywhere hit the spot, plus mountain biking uses more muscles (core in particular). If you're mountain biking on the road there won't be any difference between the two except speed and noise, if one is easier push harder.
  • Thanks for the replies.

Still dithering :? . I like the look of the Boardman MX Race Hybrid in Halfords for £500. I sat on a road bike but it just didn't feel right. Plus the lanes around me are a pretty poor surface especially when the tractors have been using them!

Or I may give Tweeks a call tomorrow and see when they expect the Cube Aim Disc 2014 to arrive (I have 3 months to use the ctw voucher). £429

I need to check with Alf Jones to see if they have a Cannondale Trail SL 29er 5 in stock. £500

I guess I could change the tyres on my current bike as the full suspension and big tyres are not doing my knees any good.

The only good thing about a road bike as far as I can see is it may be a lot easier to ride against the wind.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The above post is spot on. Road bikes go faster on fairly even roads. Anything rough or off road and you are looking at a mountain bike. Fitting a mountain bike with thinner slick tyres will help it go faster on road.
  • Kajjal wrote:
    The above post is spot on. Road bikes go faster on fairly even roads. Anything rough or off road and you are looking at a mountain bike. Fitting a mountain bike with thinner slick tyres will help it go faster on road.

Whichever bike I choose will be an improvement on the old bike I am currently using. I think my times are pretty reasonable considering... :D
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Gambler wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

Whichever bike I choose will be an improvement on the old bike I am currently using. I think my times are pretty reasonable considering... :D

I know what you mean , my first mountain bike was very cheap and weighed a ton. Replaced it with a proper low end mountain bike and I couldn't believe the difference :)