Rear shock for Giant Anthem X

djvagabon
djvagabon Posts: 262
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at upgrading my rear shock on my Giant Anthem. My budget is £500 so can anyone make any good recommendations? I'd appreciate all your help as I've been out of the mountain bike scene for 2 years after my old bike was stolen. I only bought the bike last week and I want a shock with a remote handlebar lockout.

Comments

• I can't think of any rear shocks with remote lock out and to be honest the Anthem needs rear lock out less than any other full sus bike I have ridden. There is virtually no pedal bob, it's extremely efficient.
    I would go for a Fox RP23 with a PUSH tune to give a bit more compression in the lower part of the stroke.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There is more than one version, so without knowing what you are trying to 'upgrade' from, or what is wrong with the current set up....
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for your help. Would anyone recommend the new CTD shocks? I've been reading mixed reviews so not sure wether to buy one or not.
  • Depends on what you have got and what you don't like about it.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Depends on what you have got and what you don't like about it.

this - without knowing what you have and what you don't like about it we can't really offer any advice.

edit - assuming you've got the monarch R then you could change to a monarch RT3 or RC3 plus which will give you more compression control.

how have you set your current shock up since a poorly set up shock will be crap
  • If its the Fox Float R which mine has then it just needs either some spacers to reduce the volume or if budget allows then a Push tune to increase compression through the mid stroke.
  • It's an PR23 that I've got. The shock is okay but the lockout is a bit iffy. When I do ascents you can feel the back end bouncing. I'm going to go for a push tune after the advice you guys have given me. Thanks for all your help.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    RP23 is as about good as you get IMHO.
    And it's not 'lockout', it's Propedal, it's adjustable, and it's not supposed to go rigid.
    Try adjusting it properly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • It should have some movement which helps with traction.
  • poah
    djvagabon wrote:
    It's an PR23 that I've got. The shock is okay but the lockout is a bit iffy. When I do ascents you can feel the back end bouncing. I'm going to go for a push tune after the advice you guys have given me. Thanks for all your help.

propedal is not a lock out - it just increases low speed compression damping.

you haven't set the rebound properly if the back end is bouncing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9vgrNqjwOA

then ride the bike and see what its like, you may have to dial in a bit more rebound.
  • Been using a monarch rt3 shock, no problems with it at all, have used fox in the past and i wouldn't say they were any better, one advantage with rockshox,they can be fully serviced at home,no need to send away :D
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • You can service a Fox shock at home. It's a quick, simple job. The service takes me less time than it takes to remove and refit it to the bike.
    Rockshox service manuals are far better than Fox's.
  • I was under the illusion only air can seals can be done at home with a fox shock, can you now do full air, damper,piston and ifp service, if so thats great news :)
  • poah
    I was under the illusion only air can seals can be done at home with a fox shock, can you now do full air, damper,piston and ifp service, if so thats great news :)

don't think you can because they are nitrogen charged
  • POAH wrote:
    I was under the illusion only air can seals can be done at home with a fox shock, can you now do full air, damper,piston and ifp service, if so thats great news :)

don't think you can because they are nitrogen charged

neither did i