Frog bikes

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
It seems that Islabikes has a contender to the "Best kids bike" title.

My sister in law just told me about Frog bikes and the specs look good, the reviews look good and the price looks good. Islabikes still seem to be the Rolls Royce of kids bike as they have a slightly higher spec and weigh a little less but the Frogs are about £100 cheaper and on a bike which will only fit the owner for a couple of years or so, that seems like a good trade off.

Does anyone have any experience of them?
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

My sister in law just told me about Frog bikes and the specs look good, the reviews look good and the price looks good. Islabikes still seem to be the Rolls Royce of kids bike as they have a slightly higher spec and weigh a little less but the Frogs are about £100 cheaper and on a bike which will only fit the owner for a couple of years or so, that seems like a good trade off.

Paging Cafewanda :twisted:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    My son goes to a kids cycling session at Palmer Park Velo and uses his Isla bike. Recently a few Frog bikes have appeared in the session and they do look good. The consensus (from a CTC review) and chatting to people is that they are very good. It seems the spec of the Frog bikes is lower and they are slightly heavier, but they are cheaper. For me when I bought my son's latest bike he'd been delighted with his Isla bike and it was worth the extra. If you don't have the extra though I think you can't go wrong with a Frog.
  • Just bought one for my son - they seem to be very good. I'd guess that they're not quite as good as Isla Bikes, but quite a bit cheaper. The LBS can't get them in fast enough at the moment.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    The similarly sized ones for little'uns are no real difference in price and the isla does seem lighter. I think I might think about putting in the order now for xmas. ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • I've been able pick up the equivalent bikes from both ranges at the same time - there's not a lot in it. I'm not sure how accurate the stated weights are (6kg vs 7kg). Obviously Fuggles Jnr was more worried about the colour! Having the support of the LBS is helpful on the Frog, but I've never heard a bad word about Isla either, so I don't really think you can go wrong.

There was 30 quid (15%) difference when I bought the Frog, but the list now only seems to be 15 quid apart.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    Good to see there's another quality option for little ones. Unfortunately too late for mine.
    Resale value on Isla bikes is very good. Frog may take a while to establish a similar reputation and hold value as well, possibly making an Isla better value for the time being.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Good to have another option, but they need to add racing bikes to their range too (a lot of the kids at our club are on Islabikes Luaths).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • I was about to buy my 6 year old an Islabike as he has far outgrown his Ridgeback MX16, then spotted the Frogs and a local bike shop near me stocks them. Hmm, methinks ...

Just as I've decided this is the way forward, SWMBO got wind of my money-spending plans and scuppered them by having a word with the neighbours who dug out a 20 inch wheeled BSO (a Probike something or other. Alien?) from their garage where it had lain unloved for several years as both their kids are a bit older than ours.

A pleasurable weekend spent stripping it down, cleaning it, greasing it, replacing cables and pedals. Approx £20 later it's actually not too bad a bike - a bit heavy but it all works smoothly.

But the Frog looks a pretty tempting prospect for when my 6 year old outgrows a 20 inch wheeled bike.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Agent57 wrote:
    Good to have another option, but they need to add racing bikes to their range too (a lot of the kids at our club are on Islabikes Luaths).
    The Little Bike Company have a nice range of kids road bikes including Moda and Scott. They also stock frog bikes. I think you can try them out in the car park.
    It is nice to see things are getting better for kids bikes.
    As mentioned, Islabikes have astonishing resale value which makes them quite a bargain long term.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    dhope wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Oy you! :P :P

I'll have you know I'm (almost) the proud owner of an Islabike Luath 700 - small. No Frogs for me. Besides they don't have any in red.

Ner!!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Cafewanda wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Oy you! :P :P

I'll have you know I'm (almost) the proud owner of an Islabike Luath 700 - small. No Frogs for me. Besides they don't have any in red.

Ner!!

He he he.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I sometimes amaze myself with my ladylike behaviour :)