So What do we think of "Red Ed"

13»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Unless the capping you are referring to is the cap on retail prices - which basically squeezed power station profits since the traders were screwing them and they were unable to pass the increase in cost on.

But caps didn't cause the problem, nor did they make it easier to manipulate.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Unless the capping you are referring to is the cap on retail prices - which basically squeezed power station profits since the traders were screwing them and they were unable to pass the increase in cost on.

But caps didn't cause the problem, nor did they make it easier to manipulate.

I think the worst aspect of this is that it's setting up another group of 'too big to fail' companies for another taxpayer bail-out. Think about what's actually likely to happen:

1) the retailers will assess the risk, and start pricing it in to retail charges right now.

2) the 'cap' will then turn into a fixed price.

3) Global energy prices go down, the companies rake in even more profit. Shareholders do well, but at least we get some new power stations.

4) Global energy prices go up a bit, profits squeezed. Pain probably split between investment budgets and shareholders. Better hope we don't get another really cold winter!

5) Global energy prices go up a lot, company viability starts to look a bit shaky - all of them, all at the same time, because they've all got the same structural issue. So we end up having to step in and bail them out. And endure another 5 years of whinging about unbalanced risk/reward.

I suppose one person's 'taxpayer bailout' is another person's 'nationalisation' and maybe that's what they're actually heading for. If so, perhaps they should just have the guts to say so!!
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    arran77 wrote:
    SpainSte wrote:
    Fixing the price of energy probably won't work, the best example of this in a similar economy is what happened in California 200/01.
    Appreciate this is beside the op but this is incorrect. Problems started when power market was liberalised in a half cocked way which made it ripe for trading 'abuse' (see enron's west coast power fine) and introducing price ceilings was a response to that and had a reasonable if limited success.

This is not correct, the energy crisis in California was as a result of three things, power companies manipulation of the market by shutting down power stations (as you state RC), illegal shutting down of supply pipelines AND prices being capped.

Price ceilings were not a response to these problems, they were one of the causes :roll:

The capping started later. Traders would, for example, book far too much power to go down one line. Once it became clear the line couldn't take all the power the state would be forced to buy at a higher premium rate. These rates would go totally batshit high. Hence introducing the caps later on.

No, instead of prices being allowed to stimulate lower demand and counteract the effect of restricted supply, the Californian authorities remained focused on even more price control and this was well before the energy crisis of 2000 / 2001.

Around the time of the energy crisis these price controls were replaced with ‘soft caps’ which meant that bids for energy higher than the cap could happen if it could be justified. This limited prices but still allowed cost-based increases above the wholesale price level.

This meant the authorities could acquire ‘out of the market’ energy and help California avoid blackouts and ‘games’ that the energy companies were playing although to be fair it wasn’t a complete success as manipulation still occurred because energy was exported from California but then had to be bought back in, of course at a higher price :roll:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Here's some nice caps.

csw-tgs-flag-cap-12-hrs.jpg?w=2000&h=2000&a=7
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    daviesee wrote:
    Here's some nice caps.

You mean here ARE some nice caps. Conjugate the verb to agree with the the subject.
  • daviesee
    GiantMike wrote:
    You mean here ARE some nice caps. Conjugate the verb to agree with the the subject.
    Frankly my dear, i dont give a damn.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    daviesee wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

:lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • GiantMike
    daviesee wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    You do really. :wink:
  • daviesee
    GiantMike wrote:
    Okay, I give you some dams.
    dams-map.jpg
  • GiantMike
    They've missed one out.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    GiantMike wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Here's some nice caps.

Are you being a pendant? :lol:
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    daviesee wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    Okay, I give you some dams.
    dams-map.jpg

Now that really is interesting...
  • Making himself look like a right knob for not having done this when Labour was in government and he was Energy Minister.
  • I'd like to see all utilities brought back into public ownership, that won't happen. Neither will this.

At taxpayer expense build nuclear power stations and then become the 7th power supplier.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Bloody hell Frank! What took you so long - I had given up on you. :D
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    I'd like to see all utilities brought back into public ownership, that won't happen. Neither will this.

At taxpayer expense build nuclear power stations and then become the 7th power supplier.
    FFS I hope Milipede doesn't read this thread, he might get ideas even more impractical than the ones he's already suggested to bribe voters with their own money.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Bloody hell Frank! What took you so long - I had given up on you. :D
    Everything comes to he who waits, apparently. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

• Stevo 666 wrote:
    I'd like to see all utilities brought back into public ownership, that won't happen. Neither will this.

FFS I hope Milipede doesn't read this thread, he might get ideas even more impractical than the ones he's already suggested to bribe voters with their own money.
    As I said it won't happen but utilities,transport and health care should be publicly run/owned. Certainly water,warmth and health care are basic human rights and as such should not be up for any kind of commercial exploitation.
    Tail end Charlie

• Stevo_666
    As I said it won't happen but utilities,transport and health care should be publicly run/owned. Certainly water,warmth and health care are basic human rights and as such should not be up for any kind of commercial exploitation.
    Agree it won't happen - because most people think it's a bad idea. But considering your theory for a minute, food is a pretty basic human right, so are you proposing that we nationalise Tesco? :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Agree it won't happen - because most people think it's a bad idea. But considering your theory for a minute, food is a pretty basic human right, so are you proposing that we nationalise Tesco? :wink:
    No, 'cos there is room for genuine competition within the supermarket arena, as long as it means farmers are not driven into bankruptcy by them.

At the very least there should be no VAT on gas/electric same as food.
    Tail end Charlie

• Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    No, 'cos there is room for genuine competition within the supermarket arena, as long as it means farmers are not driven into bankruptcy by them.
    If the problem in the energy market is lack of competition between energy companies, then surely it's better to try to increase competition before chucking tens of billions of our hard earned cash into creating a 7th supplier. There are about 6 major supermarket chains and the competition there is OK for you, so how will one extra state owned energy supplier will transform the competitive landscape of the energy market?

Presumably the same lack of competition concern applies to the other industry sectors you want nationalised, so how does moving to a situation where there is only one supplier with a monopoly position (The State) improve matters?

At the very least there should be no VAT on gas/electric same as food.
    It's only 5% on power. Food is either zero rated or 20% depending on what type of food, so the average rate of VAT on food is probably higher than on power.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    how does moving to a situation where there is only one supplier with a monopoly position (The State) improve matters?

Because hopefully (as long as it wasn't the tories) the state wouldn't seek to exploit the nation by profiteering.

I agree with Frank, There are certain things which should not be run on a purely for profit basis.

However I don't think the " State " no matter who would operate on this basis, you only have to look at the 87% taxation they derive on Petrol ( which is just about as near to an essential as many other things)

Subsequent Governments have just about bankrupted us supporting the profiteering of the financial organisations. I would strongly suspect they would use any revenues from regaining the Utilities to subsidise the loses from the balls up made by their friends in the City.

Wonder what they are going to do with Money from Royal Mail?
  • Stevo_666
    tim wand wrote:
    [Because hopefully (as long as it wasn't the tories) the state wouldn't seek to exploit the nation by profiteering.
    You're mixing up profit (perfectly healthy) with profiteering (overcharging). BTW The State does profiteering all the time - it's called tax. :) Classic case of a monopoly supplier overcharging customers who have no choice.
    tim wand wrote:
    I agree with Frank, There are certain things which should not be run on a purely for profit basis.

However I don't think the " State " no matter who would operate on this basis, you only have to look at the 87% taxation they derive on Petrol ( which is just about as near to an essential as many other things)
    Good example of the State profiteering even when they don't have a monopoly...you just can't trust the State not to rip us off can you.
    tim wand wrote:
    Subsequent Governments have just about bankrupted us supporting the profiteering of the financial organisations. I would strongly suspect they would use any revenues from regaining the Utilities to subsidise the loses from the balls up made by their friends in the City.
    Again, not profiteering. Even if it was, who was running the country so badly to allow this to happen?
    tim wand wrote:
    Wonder what they are going to do with Money from Royal Mail?
    Reduce some of the massive debt pile that the last Labour govt created?
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Wasn't specifically having a go at the tories (okay I was ).

I think any Government faced with the massive Welfare bill ( yes I know the vast majority of it is pensions and not just JSA ) and the economy deficit we have, is going to automatically look to exploit income (taxing and profiteering) from the things we all have to pay for.

It just amazes me that having privatised most of the Utilities and services once in the National Portfolio (to raise money to get themselves out of a hole) They are now in the vast number of cases owned by Foreign Government ran concerns who profiteer off us to subsidise their domestic markets.
  • Stevo_666
    tim wand wrote:
    Wasn't specifically having a go at the tories (okay I was ).

I think any Government faced with the massive Welfare bill ( yes I know the vast majority of it is pensions and not just JSA ) and the economy deficit we have, is going to automatically look to exploit income (taxing and profiteering) from the things we all have to pay for.

It just amazes me that having privatised most of the Utilities and services once in the National Portfolio (to raise money to get themselves out of a hole) They are now in the vast number of cases owned by Foreign Government ran concerns who profiteer off us to subsidise their domestic markets.
    At least we agree that the contry's bills are too high, so there is a logical solution - cut them!

A lot of these foreign concerns are actually private, and I'm not so sure they directly subsidise their domestic equivalents, but in any event it cuts both ways. UK outbound investments in overseas concerns are huge and we benefit from the dividend flows coming into the country from these investments.