Hunting for sport

2»

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Out dated and old fashioned huh...that's me done for then

Yes it is.

laurentian claims that if the population needs controlling then hunting with hounds is the most humane way, just watch your back when you're out on that bike again :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,387
    arran77 wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Out dated and old fashioned huh...that's me done for then

Yes it is.

laurentian claims that if the population needs controlling then hunting with hounds is the most humane way, just watch your back when you're out on that bike again :wink:

Shirking like a boss today Arran!

I also claimed that it was a bad day for the fox when hunting was banned but no-one took me up on that!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Certainly am :mrgreen:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Groups of oddly dressed folk flying around the countryside in a semi controlled manor atop expensive and often 'too good for them' steeds, chasing some unspecified goal?

Sounds like a sportive to me :D
    Insert bike here:
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    giant man wrote:
    The thing is, this 'hunting' and bloodsports in general is so damned outdated and old fashioned. You get a dozen idiots in red jackets chasing one fox, sometimes catching and killling it and sometimes not, and they claim they do it to keep the numbers of these beautiful creatures down, complete BS!!!

Way over time to BAN this ridiculous spectacle forever ...

Fully agree, it makes me so angry, these creatures are so beautiful. :evil:

All I ever saw at hunts were fat overweight aristocracies and high faluting landowners whom if they didn't ride a horse would die trying to track a fox down from exhaustion. :roll:

I don't agree with any hunting or killing, we are not Neanderthals any more, mind you, you wouldn't believe it after watching their actions.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    During 1999-2000, The Mammal Society conducted a nationwide survey using counts of fox droppings in 1-km squares across Britain to estimate fox numbers. From this survey, the total rural population of adult foxes was estimated to be 225,000. In 2001, because of the spread of foot-and-mouth disease in the Britain, hunting with dogs was banned for a whole year. In 2002, after the temporary ban had been in place, the nationwide survey was repeated on a subset of the squares surveyed in 1999-2000. This post-foot-and-mouth disease survey showed that the temporary hunting ban had not affected fox numbers. The trend across regions was of a general decline in fox numbers and there was no evidence that a ban on hunting had lead to an increase in fox numbers.

More recently, The Tracking Mammals Partnership, a monitoring programme conducted jointly by several organizations to evaluate trends in populations of British mammals, has started collecting data on fox numbers and preliminary results confirm that fox numbers appear to be stable. In the future this programme will be a useful tool to monitor mammal population trends in Britain.
  • seanoconn wrote:
    laurentian wrote:
    Good points perhaps but my post was to make the point that IF the population needs to be controlled (as alluded to by the OP) hunting with hounds is the most humane option . . . unless anyone can think of another?

Edited to say that it may not be the most effective method
    A skilled marksman would be the most humane option.
    No, you could gas them as they sleep in their little burrows.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    seanoconn wrote:
    laurentian wrote:
    Good points perhaps but my post was to make the point that IF the population needs to be controlled (as alluded to by the OP) hunting with hounds is the most humane option . . . unless anyone can think of another?

Edited to say that it may not be the most effective method
    A skilled marksman would be the most humane option.
    No, you could gas them as they sleep in their little burrows.
    You're thinking of rabbits.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    how can you ever hope to control the numbers of any species, we have war, murder, contraception, even education and the little feckers keep right on breeding.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,541
    daviesee wrote:
    giant man wrote:
    Way over time to BAN this ridiculous spectacle forever ...
    It was banned in 2005. Please keep up.
    Or was that a sarcastic post?
    We need a sarcasm smilie. :wink:

Don't let minor points like that get in the way!

To be honest, all the pro hunt lobby who reckoned it would be the death of rural industries couldn't have been more wrong. No doubt there are a few dedicated hunt people who gave up but from what I can tell going out on the 'hunt' is far more popular now as there are a lot of horsey people who enjoy the thrill of the chase without seeing an animal ripped apart at the end. My daughter goes out but has always said she wouldn't have done if they were chasing a live animal (and despite what the anti-hunt brigade like to say they don't still catch foxes 'by accident' or at least my daughter has never experienced it).

I've got nothing against hunting to control animals or even for 'sport' as long as it isn't just the gratuitous killing of animals (i.e. either it is done for pest control or the hunted animal is consumed) but hunting with dogs just can't be justified as it is such an inefficient way of doing things. Foxes are creatures of habit so it's pretty easy to ambush them on the trails if you need to get rid of them.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    When I was a kid, i was "animal mad" (nothing sexual about that, I was too young :shock: ) and I only ever saw one fox, which I can still remember as I was over the moon for days :oops:
    Now I probably see one almost every week, in town, not in the country side!
    There may not be any more of them, but they've certainly opted for the easier life. That may be a natural adaptation but it doesn't look like its a lot of fun for the mangy, scabby ones I sometimes see. Does that mean the urban ones are less healthy, or are there scabby ones in the country side as well?

I'm against hunting for sport, but pro fishing, so I guess that makes me a hypocrite :cry:
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I saw a fox yesterday. She was driving a Mini.
  • My neighbour hunts deer a few times a year. He has done it for as long as he can remember (he grew up in Wiltshire). Must admit i have had some venison sausages off him in the past, but I have no interest in going hunting myself.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407
    My neighbour hunts deer a few times a year. He has done it for as long as he can remember (he grew up in Wiltshire). Must admit i have had some venison sausages off him in the past, but I have no interest in going hunting myself.
    Mmmmm gamey
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    My neighbour hunts deer a few times a year. He has done it for as long as he can remember (he grew up in Wiltshire). Must admit i have had some venison sausages off him in the past, but I have no interest in going hunting myself.

Is this him?
    robin-hood-fox.jpg
  • Ballysmate wrote:

Is this him?
    robin-hood-fox.jpg

Yep, you can see my castle in the background
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    bompington wrote:
    Or as an alternative hypothesis, the vast, vast majority of opposition to hunting is simple old-fashioned class hatred. Maybe that ridiculous spectacle should be banned.

So can you tell me why so many people are opposed to, say, dog-fighting (not a traditional aristocratic pastime AFAIK)? Nobody's stopping them getting on their horses and going for a nice sociable gallop.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    johnfinch wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Or as an alternative hypothesis, the vast, vast majority of opposition to hunting is simple old-fashioned class hatred. Maybe that ridiculous spectacle should be banned.

So can you tell me why so many people are opposed to, say, dog-fighting (not a traditional aristocratic pastime AFAIK)? Nobody's stopping them getting on their horses and going for a nice sociable gallop.
    I don't see nearly the same fuss in the media about dog-fighting, I've never heard of badger-baiting saboteurs going out for a jolly day out in the countryside to protest and disrupt the activity, and the same could be said for hare coursing, fishing, and a lot of other blood sports that haven't been tarred with the "upper class twits" brush.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,534
    Dog fighting & badger baiting were already illegal so there was no need to protest.

If badger baiters put on their special badger killing jackets, blew a horn and set a bunch of angry pitbulls against a badger on the village green every second sunday then I imagine the media would probably start a bit more fuss
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407
    monkimark wrote:
    Dog fighting & badger baiting were already illegal so there was no need to protest.

If badger baiters put on their special badger killing jackets, blew a horn and set a bunch of angry pitbulls against a badger on the village green every second sunday then I imagine the media would probably start a bit more fuss
    Exactly this ^^

Nice try bompington :wink:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי