Spoke problem

seng84
seng84 Posts: 6
edited September 2013 in The workshop
I bought my Whyte Portobello hybrid bike in April 2012 from EBC.

In Feb 2013 the first spoke went which got repaired at EBC, it has happened a couple more times which I've had repaired at other local bike shops.

It has just happened for a 4th time so I decided to look it up to see if it was a common problem and although I can't find much there was a suggestion I may need new wheels.

I went into EBC who said I wasn't covered through them and should ring Whyte. I rang Whyte who should the only resolution would be to replace all the spokes with either myself or EBC paying.

Can anyone advise on how I can get this sorted at minimal cost? I

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Under the sale of goods act you have a contract with EBC, if the wheel was not fit for purpose at point of sale, they are liable.

Whether it was fit for purpose would be determined by how many miles you have done and what 'sort' of miles they are, the fact that the defect exhibited itslef within a year is helpful to you.

That said it would only cost circa £25-35 to get the wheel respoked.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Under the sale of goods act you have a contract with EBC, if the wheel was not fit for purpose at point of sale, they are liable.
    Depends... don't think is under warranty any longer
    The Rookie wrote:
    That said it would only cost circa £25-35 to get the wheel respoked.

Well, maybe 35... 25 is a bit hard to find, unless you go for rubbish spokes. A set of 32 Sapim or DT will set you off 16-20 pounds alone, then 25 for the job at least per wheel
    left the forum March 2023