Well, that was a Reality Check

danbt
danbt Posts: 21
edited February 2014 in Health, fitness & training
I finally plucked up the courage to get on the scales today; After what I'd say is a good 18 months in denial.

Honestly, I cannot really believe what I just saw. :shock:

I'm 6ft2 and the last time I had weighed myself, I was around, 17st2lb ... Which is very very bad in itself, but, I would never have believed what the scales just said if I hadn't of read them myself.

18 stone, 10 pounds. :oops:

I feel sick to my core, and utterly disgusted with myself for letting it get to this stage.

But this was the reality check I need, to really give me that motivation to stop quitting after 7 days every-time I start a new fitness regime.

I know how to eat correctly, unfortunately, I am too easily distracted and influenced by my parents and girlfriend.

That changes today. I am very big built and broad, I remember getting down to just under 12 stone back in 2008, and I remember being told daily by my parents and other family members, that I looked very ill.

14 stone is my target, And sub 12% bodyfat.

I'd estimate I'm at around 30% bodyfat, and I need to change that.

The Insanity workout, along with Cycling and a good diet, is going to get me there.

Wish me luck guys!

Comments

• Good luck, loosing 4 stone isn't going to be easy!
  • Good luck, although I would say that the key for me in keeping weight off long term, was lifestyle changes rather than just a severe diet. So when you hit your goal think about how to maintain it. Cheers
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Yep best of luck
  • Good luck, although I would say that the key for me in keeping weight off long term, was lifestyle changes rather than just a severe diet. So when you hit your goal think about how to maintain it. Cheers

Yep what 97th said, I use http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ Its free and not that daunting once youve loaded your data (age, weight and target weight) Load the free app onto your phone and off you go, link it to Endomondo and it loads your calories burnt etc, it helps me maintain and keeps you motivated, just an idea.

Good luck!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • danbt
    danbt Posts: 21
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Good luck, although I would say that the key for me in keeping weight off long term, was lifestyle changes rather than just a severe diet. So when you hit your goal think about how to maintain it. Cheers

Yep what 97th said, I use http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ Its free and not that daunting once youve loaded your data (age, weight and target weight) Load the free app onto your phone and off you go, link it to Endomondo and it loads your calories burnt etc, it helps me maintain and keeps you motivated, just an idea.

Good luck!

Yep, I installed both Endomondo and MyFitnessPal earlier today.
    I've calculated my calorific requirements in terms of protein, carbs and fat, and I'm ready to sort this out.

I still am finding it hard to believe the scales, but... truth hurts!
  • Two years ago I was nearly 16st and at 6ft tall running out of clothes that fit me, I started with mfp and walking at first and borrowing a mates push bike, eventually buying my own mtb bike and increasing excersize (now I run) the weight gradually came off, I got down to 12st this year.

Just be realistic with your goals and you will do it :D
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • A difficult part, but quite important, is to have a talk to those around you explaining what you are trying to achieve. It doesn't help if everyone is trying to feed you massive amounts of food all the time.
    Most people do not recognise correct portion sizes and correct body weights for height.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I'm 6'2" and I've 'ballooned' from 12 to 12.6! Good luck with it... Tough days ahead but well worth it
  • danbt wrote:
    I finally plucked up the courage to get on the scales today; After what I'd say is a good 18 months in denial.

I'm 6ft2 and the last time I had weighed myself, I was around, 17st2lb ... Which is very very bad in itself, but, I would never have believed what the scales just said if I hadn't of read them myself.

I feel sick to my core, and utterly disgusted with myself for letting it get to this stage.

But this was the reality check I need, to really give me that motivation to stop quitting after 7 days every-time I start a new fitness regime.

I know how to eat correctly, unfortunately, I am too easily distracted and influenced by my parents and girlfriend.

That changes today. I am very big built and broad, I remember getting down to just under 12 stone back in 2008, and I remember being told daily by my parents and other family members, that I looked very ill.

The Insanity workout, along with Cycling and a good diet, is going to get me there.

Wish me luck guys!

you dont give any clues on your age or level of fitness, but im gussing 20s and not very fit ?

id see my doctor before doing the ''insanity'' programme or youl end up coming to a premature end, I suspect or at least damaging your living room floor

Insane exercise of any type isn't a good way to loose weight( and neither is cycling for that matter) and a more leisurely programme of eating less/better and moderate exercise, building up the intensity over a few months is more effective way of losing wright and more li8kely to be achieved/stuck at
  • I was in exactly the same position myself.

Up until about 7/8 years ago I was a regular cyclist until a new stressful job with long hours came up and took over. It's a slippery slope of wine and rich foods with no exercise until 8-10 weeks ago I hopped on the scales at a whopping 17st 2lbs.

I bought a bike and have been riding approx. 15km a day (boy the first week was difficult) and 20-30km on a Saturday, Sunday off and have cut carbs apart from a Saturday night cheat night (effectively carb backloading). The irony being I don't really want to have any junk on my carb night and instead just end up with rice or pasta.

2 months on and I've just tipped over the 2st lost mark. I feel less stressed all the time, I have much higher energy levels and don't get the old peaks / troughs of energy, sleep better etc. Once I get into the 13's I'll re-introduce the lower GI carbs, sweet potatoes etc.

I guess it sounds like the usual horse-shit, but what I mean to say is whenever you feel like it's hard work just remember why you're doing it in the first place, it's not impossible!
  • If you start your insanity programme guaranteed you'll quit, maybe not after a week but you will quit. You need something much more realistic. Starting by cycling at least twice a week, and building up your distances. Although you're going to need a plan for winter as its easy to lapse.

A lot of people don't get on with it, but, my wife does Weight Watchers, and they really are quite good as it makes you keep a record of everything you eat, using the apps or website and that in itself is a powerful motivator.

Strava is good too because you want to get personal bests up that climb ;)
  • I second the Strava thing. Outside of the tangible gains it's really nice to see your regular route times going down, on top of the fact they become less and less painful.

Then when you start setting yourself targets on segments it feels great.
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    danbt wrote:

Wish me luck guys!

Good luck with this dude, I had a similar experience and have just come to the end of my journey with a loss of over 2 stone since April, what I found really helped (if its any use) is, Myfitnesspal iphone / pod app, cutting out the beer and wine, getting out on the bike (even for an hour) and setting small goals and targets, don't think to where you want to be just focus on the week to week and small losses (which soon add up).

I am sure 100's will give different advice but the above worked for me, I am just focusing now on building a little winter flexibility (loosing another 4 lbs) as I won't be getting out on the bike so much and Christmass is coming.

Best of luck 8)
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    danbt wrote:

Wish me luck guys!

If you got down to below 12 stone at 6 ft 2, then you are not very big built and broad.

If you were, you would struggle to get below about 13 stone.

Perhaps 12 stone or thereabouts is where you should be
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Can you commute by bike? That got me from over 18 stone down to 14 stone over two years. Whatever you decide to do plan long term and gradual as quick fixes will back fire.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • I'm in a similar situation. Two years ago I bought my first road bike. I got fitter, was commuting to work and went from 16st to just over 14st at 6"1. I plateaued at that but I was happy as 14st for my build looks right. Last year for me was a disaster for various reasons (work, injury, time, weather, etc) so I've gone back to almost 16st again. My bike has some new bits it needed and I'm ready to start again. The MyFitnessPal app I found useful and I lost weight by just eating to the calorie recommendation and cutting out bread where possible.

My main problem will be cycling more. At the moment the weather is torrential and the wind is so bad it's hardly worth it. I have been out this weekend so it's something plus I bought a set of rollers. Tricky to use but at least I have no excuses to get the miles in. Another reason I went rollers is because I don't get home until 6.30pm so even if I do a few sets on the rollers once I get in it's better than doing nothing.

Another thing I've found is to ignore speeds the good riders are doing/say they are doing. Some will talk like 19mph and 100 mile rides are nothing and I'm sure they are when they weigh hardly anything and been cycling for years. At the beginning when I first got the bike I was struggling on a slight incline to do 13mph. Took me a while to learn how to ride and pace myself properly but it all comes with time and patience.

I do need to find a good beginner cycling fitness guide since I'm almost back to the beginning again. Anyone know of one?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    At the moment the weather is torrential and the wind is so bad it's hardly worth it

Wrong phrase, it's particularly worth it now, becuase in summer you'll be fitter than all the lazy buggers who do nothing when the weather's crap. IMO cycle commuting is far far easier (irrespective of weather) than coming home and trying to half heartedly force yourself to do a turbo/roller session.

Agree that listening to folk talking of average speeds is useless though.
  • I'm in a very similar boat and I too want to lose approx 4 stone.

I'm 36, 6ft3 and not far off 18st

it's one of the reasons I got back into MTB as I enjoy it and its great exercise. Also I have had knee surgery so running is not recommended. ..

I also use myfitnesspal and it's a nice little motivator altgough sometimes its quite scary how quickly you can reach your calorie quota!

Good luck achieving your goal :)