Can I switch Shimano wheels to Campag?

charliegirl74
charliegirl74 Posts: 12
edited September 2013 in Workshop
Hi Peeps,

I've just bought new bike which I love dearly.. Althought I would like to upgrade the wheels. (Standard ones on bike are very much that).

However pennies being pinched after buying said bike this needs to wait a wee while - plus need to do research.

In the meantime I have Mavic Krysium Equipe which I had on my Trek which I have considered putting on new bike, only think is wheels are Shimano and new bike has Camapg... is there anything I can do with this?

Any advice greatly received.

Thanks muchly,
Charlie

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I think you can change the freehub on the Mavics.

Yes, with a quick Google you can. About £40 (other providers are available).
  • Thanks Me-109!

I was hoping would be case of changing the freehub.. now to decide whether to gor for it or hold out for new wheels.

Decisions, decisons.... :)
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Another option is a shimano-splined cassette with campag spacing (ambrosio do one) - but the freehub is a more-elegant option and gives you a wider range of options.
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    Will this work?

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.php

I have two bikes, one has a campag groupset the other has a shimano groupset and I bought one of these so that I can run campag wheels (with campag cassette) on my shimano bike. It works very well and is an alternative to the change of freehub/ambrosio cassette option. I didn't get mine from the USA so will try and dig out the link and post back later.
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    Right, I have just checked and I got mine from these guys:

http://www.thetandemshop.com/catalogsea ... =shiftmate

I paid £27.99 a couple of years ago.
  • Thanks g00se and Brucey!

It all sounds very technical (for my non-technical head). I need to think about if it's worth the pain or just hang on.. as would need to switch exisitng Camapg wheels to Shimano too..