Another BB question.

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited September 2013 in Workshop
I bought a frame that takes a bb30 and have seen fsa gossamer chain sets that are 50/34 compact,which is what I want.
My problem is they say they are 10 speed but I want to run shimano 8 speed.will the above chainset run a shimano 8 speed set up.
cheers
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no problem.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • elderone
    thanks nicklouse that's good news.
  • elderone
    I have a boardman team frame coming for my winter build and it needs a bb30 bottom bracket.Now before I sort one of those out and chainsets etc,I was wondering is there a way that I can fit a bottom bracket that can take the shimano compact chain set I already have that runs my 8 speed set up.
    cheers.
  • nicklouse
    sure buy an adaptor or a KCNC converter BB
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I'm just waiting to fit the Shimano bb cups to my BB30 > BSA conversion. I used the FSA adapter sleeve and loctite'd it in place with 609 retaining compound:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 0000000000

I'm looking forward to a creak free ride......
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • elderone
    thanks for replies,much appreciated.Turns out its an older frame and has a standard bottom bracket.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    elderone wrote:
    thanks for replies,much appreciated.Turns out its an older frame and has a standard bottom bracket.

That is a major result then, BB30 free zone :D
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • elderone
    smidsy wrote:
    elderone wrote:

That is a major result then, BB30 free zone :D
    You would think so,but may turn out a more expensive now :(
  • elderone
    Having discovered I don,t need a bb30 I have found out the BB for this frame (boardman team alu 2010) requires a gxp truvativ team bb.I think sram is the same.Halfords sell this at £24 so not big problem.
    What I would really like to know is,if I have to get sram chain set at 50/34 will it still run shimano 8 speed equipment.
    Also, is there a way to make this BB work with the shimano chainset I lready have.
    thanks for any help.
  • nicklouse
    it does not require a gxp BB it is a standard threaded BB if your current frame is BSA thread and the same width 68mm then use that.

and topics merged.
  • elderone
    Thanks nicklouse,Im only going off what Halfords said when I phoned them and they said was a gxp.
    So what is a standard BB and will it run shimano.
    sorry for the silly questions but want to make sure I order the right thing.
  • nicklouse
    read http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... m-brackets

yes it will run a shimano BB, but if it will run your BB depends if yours is BSA "standard" or if it is italian.