Turbo trainer for a beginner around £300?

Armerlite
Armerlite Posts: 21
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Hello there all new member & new to road bikes

I've just started riding a road bike as I'm trying to lose a bit of weight and up the fitness.

I'm also trying to plan ahead for when the weather turns a bit nasty & the roads become icy. As I'm new I haven't really got a clue so I'm asking here as I feel the lbs will just try to sell me anything , the question is what can I get/ need for around £300?

Your advice & time to answer would be greatly appreciated if any suggestions could state the true names ect so I can google them that should also help.
Thanks again!

Comments

• £300 ?!!! :shock:
  • Snowy 70
    Snowy 70 Posts: 15
    edited September 2013
    Hi,
    I wouldn't think that you would need to spend that much on a turbo trainer, I've seen plenty on places like eBay from £50 upwards, some of the cheaper ones have good reviews. I think the most important thing is to make sure you have a big fan, :lol: It gets a bit hot & sweaty. :D
  • Wow £300! You'd get an awesome one for that. I'm thinking of getting one but £150 max - you can get them for less than that too.
  • mzm70
    mzm70 Posts: 123
    Shameful plug..
    I have a virtual reality one for sale viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=12942037

The BSIM application allows for a huge variety of different rides, gold membership is subscription based, it is very comprehensive.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    A Tacx Flow is probably more than any beginner needs, should last you ages and is available for around £250 if you shop around.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    £150 max should get a turbo for your needs.
  • I should of explained a bit better talking for everything turbo, spare back tyre fan ect ...it will be used in the garage but also in an upstairs bedroom so want something not to noisey.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • if you have the space, you won't get better than this for £300:

Kinetic Turbo Rock And Roll Trainer
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/TRK ... ll_trainer

From what I've been told, it also comes with the front wheel support. I paid about this for a s'hand one!
    Simon
  • Halfords (yeah, I know!) are doing this kit for a £100 reduction (allegedly), looks okay, given that you get a Mat, riser block etc.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 29901#tab1
  • Halfords (yeah, I know!) are doing this kit for a £100 reduction (allegedly), looks okay, given that you get a Mat, riser block etc.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 29901#tab1
    Got one last week. It's fine. Particularly for the price. (less 10% for BC membership.)
  • arran77 wrote:

That looks spot on thanx!
  • I'm going to have to have a proper look over all of your suggestions when I'm not at work but thank you every one for your help!!!!
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    whooa my turbo was £50 from a friend of a friend of a friend! lol
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Remember a turbo trainer is not the only expense. You might want to also consider
    - spare wheel and cassette
    - trainer tyre
    - fan
    - mat
    - sweat catcher
    - some sort of speed and cadence sensor if you don't already have one

I have all the above and I think the trainer is probably only about 50% of the total outlay.
  • Yeah that's what I ment the whole package so to speak .... Spending a lot of money at the moment / doing a lot of over time haha, but I'm enjoying it always loved being outdoors could never look forward to going to a gym but I look forward to getting out on the bike. I've even started to ride a mtb to work everyday as well

I'm really enjoying it, It's changed my hole mind frame I've cut down on the fags more conthious about what I eat and look forward to getting out, hence the thinking regarding the turbo for the winter.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'd recommend a Cycleops Fluid or Jet Pro. Don't buy a cheapo one as they don't give nice progressive resistance, don't believe most reviews as they're posted by folks 3 days after buying their first turbo so they likely don't know what good actually means and turbo trainers are only quiet if you're a weak and pathetic cyclist that struggles to hold 100W for a few minutes :wink:
    More problems but still living....
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    BrandonA wrote:
    Remember a turbo trainer is not the only expense. You might want to also consider
    - spare wheel and cassette
    - trainer tyre
    - fan
    - mat
    - sweat catcher
    - some sort of speed and cadence sensor if you don't already have one

I have all the above and I think the trainer is probably only about 50% of the total outlay.

+ helmet.
  • Why would you need a helmet on a turbo? Rollers yes.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Jebus.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    if you have the space, you won't get better than this for £300:

From what I've been told, it also comes with the front wheel support. I paid about this for a s'hand one!

It doesnt, mine arrived today (to be fair it doesnt mention that it does).
    I bought the KK turntable from ebay for £35.
    Also got a Garmin GSC10 speed/cadence sensor, Garmin heart rate transponder, Polar Wearlink+ strap and a USB ANT+ stick from ebay (£20 cheapest i found it anywhere) to use Trainer Road.
    Cheers, Stu
  • Why would you need a helmet on a turbo? Rollers yes.

So you look the part....?

:lol:
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    Why would you need a helmet on a turbo? Rollers yes.

Safety first kids

splash.jpg
  • duckson wrote:
    if you have the space, you won't get better than this for £300:

It doesnt, mine arrived today (to be fair it doesnt mention that it does).
    I bought the KK turntable from ebay for £35.
    Also got a Garmin GSC10 speed/cadence sensor, Garmin heart rate transponder, Polar Wearlink+ strap and a USB ANT+ stick from ebay (£20 cheapest i found it anywhere) to use Trainer Road.

So how is Trainer Road?
    Would be interested in your thoughts and impressions??
  • duckson
    I'll let you know once i've tried it (waiting for a couple of items to turn up).
    Cheers, Stu
  • jotko
    So how is Trainer Road?

Trainer road is excellent, and when paired with sufferfest videos it is especially good. It is an absolute bargain as well.

I used it all last winter with an Elite turbo, worked just fine. No idea how accurate the virtual power numbers are, but they seem repeatable, and that's all you need.I will be signing back up and doing one of their training plans this winter - there are loads. I should have a powertap by then so will see how accurate virtual power really is.

I cannot emphasise enough how important a fan is, you really need the biggest one you can sensibly accommodate.
    I got one of these, it is good http://www.screwfix.com/p/18-high-veloc ... rome/54056

There is an enormous thread in the training forum with everything you need to know (and a lot more).
  • duckson
    Yes was wondering about a fan but kinda hoped having it in the garage might be a little cooler (garage is also detached).....maybe wishful thinking!

How noisy is that Screwfix fan? does it have mulitple speed settings?
    Cheers, Stu
  • Thank you to everyone that's posted on this,it's a very helpful forum especially to some one that's just started.
  • jotko
    duckson wrote:
    Yes was wondering about a fan but kinda hoped having it in the garage might be a little cooler (garage is also detached).....maybe wishful thinking!

How noisy is that Screwfix fan? does it have mulitple speed settings?

It has 3 speed settings and I would bet it will be much quieter than your turbo!

FWIW Screwfix will refund you no questions asked so worth a go if there is one handy for you.
  • duckson
    So how is Trainer Road?

Signed up to Trainer Road and did the 8 minute test today, very tough as it should be and its set my FTP at 250 (3.58 FTP/kg). I've not ridden in 2 weeks after a partial tear of my AC ligament in my right shoulder so maybe it will improve slightly quicker than it normally would....

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/408815

One things for sure (as post above mentions) i need a fan! Think my parents have one they used in their conservatory so i'll nab that.
    Cheers, Stu