Box Hill Sportive 13/10/2013

2»

Comments

• Gunnsie
    Gunnsie Posts: 171
    DHA987S wrote:
    Terrible conditions. My castelli free jacket is meant to be pretty waterproof but in that weather it wasn't. Am glad I had opted for the short, even by the end of that I was getting too cold descending.

If you think that your brakes weren't working and need improving, then I thought my rear was useless. All it did was make a noise rather than provide any stopping power. They are DA 9000 and usually exceptional, but I think with so much water and crap on the roads it made them reduce in power significantly. Glad I was on aluminium rims though!!

I've asked in the 'Road buying advise' forum about wet weather/winter brake pads and a few people have mentioned SwissStop Pro Green pads, so I think I will be investing In a set of them soon.
  • Gunnsie
    Gunnsie Posts: 171
    WarrenG wrote:
    My low point was at the first feed station when the collected rainwater on the canopy overflowed all over me and my fig roll

Hahaha!! :lol: I wish I'd have stopped there now, knowing they had fig rolls!!
  • WarrenG wrote:
    My low point was at the first feed station when the collected rainwater on the canopy overflowed all over me and my fig roll

That would be pretty close to being the low point of my life :cry:
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Didn't do the sportive, but rode Box Hill on the way to Havant from Admiralty Arch, on that day. I passed a few riders, who should be ashamed of themselves? I am the Lantern Rouge! Plenty of people enjoying themselves despite the rain, good fun.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • freebs
    freebs Posts: 199
    mozzer2906 wrote:
    My first sportive, Weather was horrific, was due to do the standard course but got a flat about 5km past the route split. By the time I'd finished repairing it I was frozen to the bone and out of inners so decided to go back and finish on the short route. Some of the descents were pretty hairy in that weather.

Still an enjoyable day out, would love to do the course in the dry as seemed like it could be very good fun. Box hill was actually a very enjoyable climb, not that tough and a good one to get spinning on.

On the off-chance he reads this forum, big thanks to Phil who helped me repair the flat/leant me his pump as mine had fallen out of my pocket at some point.

Tom, glad to be of service! Was a grim wet day!!
  • freebs wrote:
    mozzer2906 wrote:
    My first sportive, Weather was horrific, was due to do the standard course but got a flat about 5km past the route split. By the time I'd finished repairing it I was frozen to the bone and out of inners so decided to go back and finish on the short route. Some of the descents were pretty hairy in that weather.

Still an enjoyable day out, would love to do the course in the dry as seemed like it could be very good fun. Box hill was actually a very enjoyable climb, not that tough and a good one to get spinning on.

On the off-chance he reads this forum, big thanks to Phil who helped me repair the flat/leant me his pump as mine had fallen out of my pocket at some point.

Tom, glad to be of service! Was a grim wet day!!

Only just spotted this, thanks again Phil, hope you managed to get round the rest of the course puncture free!