Castelli Nanoflex/ Sportful no rain

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
The time has come to get something to match the gabba. What experience of the above do people have? Also sizes, I have an XL gabba, DHB bibs are in medium and I have a 31" waist, 5' 9" and weigh 82kg. The XL gabba fits as I am broad on top.

I am leaning towards the nanoflex in a 3/4 rather than full tight.
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Does anyone do nanoflex / no rain bib longs without a pad?

I prefer to wear my shorts underneath rather than have to wear the same pad twice without washing or try to wash them everyday.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    No idea on the tights but I love my Nanoflex arm warmers. I wasn't sure they were up to much but I then rode with some of my non water resistant ones in the rain and quickly realised just how good the Nanoflex ones are.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • menthel
    Thanks- not seen any without pads. I may have to see if my local evans has any in stock. doubtful but probably worth a try!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I have the no-rain armwarmwers and rate them highly. Great fit (very stretchy and grippy) cosy (slightly fleecy inside) and water beads off so they continue to do their job in the rain. Advantage (IMO) over the nanoflex, is that I don't look quite so much like a mobile advertising hoarding.
  • menthel
    Thanks. Looking at the no rain tights, they have 2 different ones- a standard and a fleecy roubaix style one. I hate choices!
    RIP commute...
  • I don't rate my Nanoflex bib shorts and leg warmers at all. I don't think that they're really any more water resistant than any others. The pad is poor (as attested to by my butt on L2E) and the legwarmer seams run up behind the knee (if worn as intended). Finally, the lettering is flaking off (no big deal as far as function is concerned but it hasn't happened on my Assos or Gore stuff that has seen far far more use)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • menthel
    So what other options are there? Evans seem to have some endura and a few other makes that claim to be water resisitant.
    RIP commute...
  • menthel wrote:
    So what other options are there? Evans seem to have some endura and a few other makes that claim to be water resisitant.

Don't bother. Nothing is more waterproof and breathable than your skin. It's not like you're trying to keep anything underneath dry. Wear something that's windproof and keeps you warm. That's why I love the Assos 851 stuff (even if they do seem to have stopped making it).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • menthel
    menthel wrote:

Don't bother. Nothing is more waterproof and breathable than your skin. It's not like you're trying to keep anything underneath dry. Wear something that's windproof and keeps you warm. That's why I love the Assos 851 stuff (even if they do seem to have stopped making it).

I guess it is a personal thing. Having got the gabba and felt how good it is at keeping me dry I would now like something similar on the botton half too!
    RIP commute...
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I'm sure MRS will be converted to nanoflex/no-rain material as soon as Assos starts selling it. :wink:
  • vermin wrote:
    I'm sure MRS will be converted to nanoflex/no-rain material as soon as Assos starts selling it. :wink:

LMAO - no. I got the Nanoflex at about the same time as I started buying Assos and was hoping the Castelli would be good. The funny thing is, the colleague that recommended it to me is now an Assos convert.
  • I bought a pair of no-rain leg warmers for the Raid. Wore them on the 2 wet days and they were very good, water just beaded off. Only complaint was that the material was quite thick and bunched up at the back of my knees a little. Given Sportful and Castelli are the same company I'd imagine that Nanoflex is as effective, but perhaps thinner.

I know MRS didn't have a good nanoflex experience, but it could be they have improved the material since then? I'd certainly consider buyin no-rain bibs.

BTW it's all well and good to say 'skin is waterproof' but we had a cold wet day on the Raid, and I can tell you that 106 miles in the pyrenees in the rain is no joke if you are soaked through... stupidly i didn't deploy my Pocketliner jacket until I was already wet.
  • BTW it's all well and good to say 'skin is waterproof' but we had a cold wet day on the Raid, and I can tell you that 106 miles in the pyrenees in the rain is no joke if you are soaked through... stupidly i didn't deploy my Pocketliner jacket until I was already wet.

I did last 89 miles of Inverness to Edinburgh on last year's "Worst Storm in 50 Years" (or whatever) day. Pi55ing down with rain, blowing (more than) a gale, cold & finally dark. I got soaked but stayed warm. There's no way any "waterproof" material would have kept us dry in any case.
  • I have 3/4 nanoflex bibs, the fist few months they were OK in the rain, they repelled light rain fairly well; after regular use and washing, they seem to have completely lost their water repellancy.... They are comfortable, they have the same Kiss3 pad all the other castelli bibs use (that obviously don't have their super premium progetto2 pad - or it's called something like that).... I've ridden 108miles in the bibs in March this year when it snowed for a bit during the ride, I was a bit chilly, but warm enough, so they are good enough for winter use (when paired up with some long ski socks, or leg warmers)

Even though they get damp when it rains, they do stay nice and warm, they have a fleecy inner so they're quite thick. I am happy enough with mine, I think I paid about £65 for them a couple of years back.
  • menthel
    Gah, the XL is out of stock at wiggle. They have L but I am not sure that they will fit.
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    Just had a slight accident. Decided to risk the L nanoflex 3/4. My hand slipped and I ordered a SS gabba to go with my LS too. Oh dear, the wife won't be happy!
    RIP commute...
  • menthel wrote:
    Gah, the XL is out of stock at wiggle. They have L but I am not sure that they will fit.

I'm about the same height and a bit wider round the middle. Large in the bibs is fine.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • menthel
    menthel wrote:

I'm about the same height and a bit wider round the middle. Large in the bibs is fine.

Cool, will see how they fit when they come!
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    L was fine for bibs and xl is fine for the ss gabba. Ready for all eventualities now!
    RIP commute...
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    I have the nanoflex knee-warmers. On a recent ride that was the only bit that stayed dry... However, I don't wear them for their waterproof qualities but for their fluffy warmness on cold days. I have medium and they fit perfectly on my shapely legs. They were occasionally droopy when I first got them but now the guns have expanded and they don't budge.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.