America's Cup Boat Race

FocusZing
FocusZing Posts: 4,373
edited September 2013 in The Crudcatcher
The boats are pretty impressive. Hydrofoils, close to 50mph speed and sail faster than the wind.

1372109241000-AP-Americas-Cup-Dangerous-Sailing-1306241728_4_3.jpg

this-years-americas-cup-boats-look-super-futuristic.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so different to a few years back when they were still mono hulls.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I lived in NZ when the NZ boat's mast snapped in the final in 2003. Mass doom and gloom.
    To add insult all the masts were made by one of my clients. It got interesting.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    nicklouse wrote:
    so different to a few years back when they were still mono hulls.
    Friend of mine (former round the world racer) feels they should go back to mono hull or that at the very least the whole show could deal with a huge dollop of stringent rules and regs around stength, stability and overall safety.

The sport today has become too dangerous apparently. That the sailors often wear breathing aparatus as a matter of course tells us they've gone too far in the search for speed perhaps - they expect disaster.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    FocusZing wrote:
    ...and sail faster than the wind.

Hey!? :? How does a boat travel faster than the wind pushing it?
  • cooldad
    Very common, most yachts (etc) can.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_fa ... n_the_wind
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Allot of dinghy's can as well, normally asymmetric or foiling boats. It's all to do with the apparent wind.

For me I believe the AC should go back to mono hulls, but I am a lifelong dinghy racer so I appreciate it's not as exciting as watching a 72 full foiling and as such why it's better for people outside of the sailing world to watch. However it has been the most exciting AC for ages, even if the whole thing is just a big circus!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    jairaj wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    ...and sail faster than the wind.

Hey!? :? How does a boat travel faster than the wind pushing it?
    You cannot sail faster than the wind when travelling straight downwind with a simple sail.

However when sailing at and angle to the wind in a downward direction. Actually I'll stop there. Wiki is our friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_fa ... n_the_wind
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • russyh
    Search apparent wind on wiki for a detailed description. But simply put, the boat sails at an angle to the wind which is the most effiecent (fastest boat speed wise) as the boat moves faster and faster it starts to generate its own wind (think about when you ride your bike in a tail wind. One your speed is faster then the tail wind you then start to generate a headwind.

To be honest its not as simple as that but you get the idea.
  • cooldad wrote:

No it's not. The majority of yachts are displacement (non-planing) designs so don't sail anything like as fast as the wind speed. It's planing boats that, as has been suggested below, are able to. This is, again as has been explained, because they create apparent wind which is faster and of an angle to allow them to go faster and so on and so on.

Picking up on another point. The requirement to wear oxygen came about after the death of Andrew Simpson on the Swedish boat Artemis during the Louis Vuitton qualifying series to compete for the AC.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • cooldad
    OK my apologies. I spent most of my time on small racing dinghies, I forgot about the big pudding jobbies.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • russyh
    Small racing dinghies can use the apparent wind. International mots as an example are fully foiling an only 12ft long but use apparent wind and are capable if speeds over 30knts. I sail a 15ft asymmetric dinghy which again benefits from apparent wind sailing (of sorts)
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Incredible comeback for the Aussie and British Oracles to beat the New Zealand team.

136781798_sailing_451084c.jpg

110951683_sailing_323389c.jpg

The boats need to be made a lot cheaper though to make it more open and competitive. I half wanted New Zealand to win so they could recoup the money invested as a result of hosting the event. The Larry Ellison boat project cost in the region of 100 million dollars.

austin-powers.jpg
  • Russyh wrote:
    Small racing dinghies can use the apparent wind. International mots as an example are fully foiling an only 12ft long but use apparent wind and are capable if speeds over 30knts. I sail a 15ft asymmetric dinghy which again benefits from apparent wind sailing (of sorts)

Yeah, us windsurfers* hear that from all the Moth sailors but then when they get spanked there's all kinds of reasons why it wasn't quite right for them ;) It was interesting to see the Moth get spanked by an Open 60 and a board in somewhat less than perfect conditions for either vessel at Cowes Week as well.

*I race boats as well ;) And one of my best mates is an IM sailor at Stokes Bay. I have to say I am impressed by them and when they are sailed well they are very, very fast. Always interesting watching the novice trying to foil gybe though :)
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • russyh
    Is that spanked by a board aroun a course or just on a straight reaching line? I won't profess to know much about windsurfing or even much about big boat stuff. I am just a dinghy racer
  • Both. They're quick and their VMG is ok, but they can't compete with a board.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • FocusZing wrote:
    Incredible comeback for the Aussie and British Oracles to beat the New Zealand team.

136781798_sailing_451084c.jpg

110951683_sailing_323389c.jpg

The boats need to be made a lot cheaper though to make it more open and competitive. I half wanted New Zealand to win so they could recoup the money invested as a result of hosting the event. The Larry Ellison boat project cost in the region of 100 million dollars.

austin-powers.jpg

No they don't. It's always been a top-end, rich man's plaything and it needs to stay that way. There are already smaller, cheaper AC45s which run a series if you want to see more of them playing. The AC is all about boat on boat match racing and the best sailors and technology - that costs money.

And don't fall into the trap that most have of assuming that ETNZ didn't spend that sort of cash. They had Emirates money and government cash as well as their long term project sponsors cash. It's being portrayed as David lost to Goliath but it's actually Goliath lost to Goliath.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • And don't fall into the trap that ...
    I feel you've fallen in the trap called 'FocusZing'...
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • cooldad
    Boat wins America's Cup
    oracle425.jpg
    A MASSIVE boat with an enormous sail has beaten a bunch of other boats to win the America’s Cup, the world’s top boaty prize.

The boat apparently won by spending most of its time barely touching in the water, leading observers to wonder if it may actually be a plane.

Oracle, as the boat is called, said: “I’m very proud to have won and am glad no credit is being given to the idiots on my back.

“I now plan to relax, stop being a boat and spend my winnings on opening a whiskey bar in Tokyo.”

(Nicked from The Daily Mash without remorse)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    FocusZing wrote:
    this-years-americas-cup-boats-look-super-futuristic.jpg

That's like a boat version of a TT bike :mrgreen:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn