Shimano 2300 double/triple shifter problem

majica8
majica8 Posts: 12
edited September 2013 in Workshop
Hey all, looking for some advice. Bit of background first but you can skip to the end of you want.
I purchased my first road bike at the beginning of Aug. It's a Triban 3 and I've been very happy with it so far. Trouble is a week last Friday I had a fall and knackered both the shifters. They still actually work ok, but the plastic housing (especially on the left one) is broken and they are generally a bit banged up.
After being quoted a ridiculous amount for replacements (£150) I found an "as-new" pair on eBay for £60. Great, took the sting out of it a bit.
Decided to fit them myself and get everything sorted, was fine until I got to adjusting the front gears. Couldn't get it sorted and gave up in the end so took it back to Decathlon who said they would look at it. Came back and said the front/left shifter isn't acting right. Instead of going to 3 positions it seems to miss the middle of only go to 2. They still have it and are going to look again tomorrow but I have a feeling it won't matter as I think I've been sold a double shifter, not a triple.
I looked at the eBay listing again (which definitely says triple), and looked into the bike they said they took the shifters off. Carrera TDF. Looking at that bike, it only comes with double.

So my question: Is it possible to take the main part of the shifter off the plastic housing (where the lever pivots) and put a new one back on? I'm eager to get my bike sorted as quickly as possible so want to avoid having to return the shifters and looking for another pair if I can. Can I take the old triple one out of the broken housing and put in the new/double one?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You can simply swap-out the shifter 'module' and lever from one lever body to another- you'll find instructions online. It can be fiddly though
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thank you.
    I found instructions online and tried it myself with one of the old/broken shifters and it was very simple to take apart. I can see the spring being fiddly when putting it back but certainly doable.
    Decathlon still have the bike and both shifters (old and new.) They didn't seem sure about doing it and said they would have a proper look on Thursday. Might head up there again tomorrow with the instructions, let them know it is possible, and see if they can fit it in sometime tomorrow instead. If not I think I'll have the lot back and try to do it myself.

Thanks again :)