Bad tyres for road riding

Taffytim
Taffytim Posts: 6
edited September 2013 in MTB beginners
Ive just swapped from my skinny tyres back to the stock tyres from Decathlon on my Rockrider 5.1.

Before i took them off I had a couple of falls when cornering on tarmac and ive almost slipped out a couple of times since they've gone back on.

When off road they are fine and grippy so i'm trying to work out if i should bear with them or replace for something more suited to my 1.5 mile commute each day?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On road grip is all about contact area, a road tyre gives you a lot more, cheap tyres are also a very hard 'rubber' off road grip is half due to the rubber and half due to the shape.

Get a decent on road tyre for that use, the Schwalbe City Jet is a great value for money option at just over £10 each....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Are you using your Rockrider regularly off road as well as daily on road?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • And dont touch the brakes in a corner
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Taffytim wrote:
    Ive just swapped from my skinny tyres back to the stock tyres from Decathlon on my Rockrider 5.1.

Before i took them off I had a couple of falls when cornering on tarmac and ive almost slipped out a couple of times since they've gone back on.

When off road they are fine and grippy so i'm trying to work out if i should bear with them or replace for something more suited to my 1.5 mile commute each day?

Has anyone else experienced this?
    So, you slip with the skinny tyres and the stock tyres? might help if you say what they actually are. They sound as though they are both very hard compound. Go for a dual compound, the side part is softer so grips better when cornering.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or just decent tyres.
    Or you are trying to go too fast.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook