Mudguard nightmare

charliew87
charliew87 Posts: 371
edited September 2013 in The workshop
Got a Mango bike last week, looks great, love riding it.

Have however just tried to fit the £30 mudguards I got with it that 'fit all Mango bikes', and I'm now at least 90% sure they won't fit at all. The bike is missing holes in the right part of the frame for one, and they look shite.

I've got these ones, anyone had the same and got any tips?

http://www.mangobikes.co.uk/shop/full-mudguards/
Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0

Comments

• jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    'only mudguards purchased from us will fit mango bikes' What a load of bollocks, they're just bog standard guards.

which guard are you having problems with? front or back? where is there not a hole where there should be?
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    What precisely is the issue?
    They look bog std mudguards to me, except that they lack a safety quick release at the front. If they are brittle plastic that is OK but uber-tough chromoplastic one will send your ars* over t*t if you jam a branch in the front. The SKS quick release has saved my bacon once.

How is the tyre clearance on the bike at the tight spots?
    What is the lower chainstay fixing like? I usually drill and ziptie a plastic mudguard here.
  • Rear one was more of an issue. The instructions were the main problem, absolutely useless.

I've now got both on and 95% sorted. The front one has a bit of rub on the wheel which I think I can tweak out, the rear one I've had to tie to the frame with a cable tie to keep it out of the way but seems to work for now.

Silly things.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    I always wondered why you would need the safety clip on the front guard until I needed it. Stone got wedged inside, guard was trashed but I didn't go over the front.
    SKS çhromoplastics are the best IMHO and cheaper than those mango jobs