Tow Bar mounted bike carriers

bladeone
bladeone Posts: 94
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to buy either thule 9503 or witter zx300 they are both about the 140 quid mark,

I would prefer the type that bolts behind a flange type tow ball, but these attach to any tow ball which is good but would have preferred the security of the bolted type. Maybe old school but just think clamping onto the ball maybe a weakness or its just me.
Anyone any experiences with this type? they sell that many im sure that there wouldn't be a problem with FS bikes on, I would mainly be carrying two so its well within the weight limit.
YT Capra Pro Race
Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)
Cube Reaction GTC Pro (sold)
Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a Halfords rack for 4 bikes, the rack is actually made by Thule, not had any problems at all with it mounted to either my old car or my new which uses a whitter removeable swan neck, the way it clamps on it is totally rigid once installed. I too had reservations but can assure you they are unfounded.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    I have a witter one, not sure but might be the zx300, it's pretty sturdy. Ive had 3 bikes on mine, a 29er h/t, 26 h /t and my 26 f/s. I have driven the 160 miles to devon and then back home with my h/t on and it was safe as houses.

The only issue I have had is with the size of the mechanism that clamps onto the tow ball, but that's because I drive a van and the rear barn doors can't be opened fully even with it tilted.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • I have one of these:
    http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/towbar-mounted-bike-carriers/thule-euroway-g2-923-_-923000

Clamps to the tow ball and is absolutely fine with 3 full sussers on. (51kg total bike weight limit)

Can be left locked to the tow ball or can be folded into the boot in under a minute.

Really pleased with mine and whilst a bit more than £140, worth every penny IMHO.

There is a two bike version also.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I have a Buzzrack that clamps onto the towball and honestly it is very strong and it also has a lock bar that slides in for added security to prevent theft but also to stop the clamp coming undone with it in place.
  • Had a look at all them and they all fit onto the tow ball and nobody has said they have concerns which puts me at ease, now I just have to decide which, the witter I think is my preferred choice and is the cheapest, comes with the new 13 pin eclectic plug.
    Has anyone told insurance about towing?

Thanks for all replies. Andy
    YT Capra Pro Race
    Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)
  • Mine arrive yesterday, I am suprised how solid the thing feels, even with me stood on it :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your not towing, no need to tell the insurer at all (even if you are towing on most policies).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • But when you could have 5k worth of bike on back and you took a shunt, it may be worth checking out.
    YT Capra Pro Race
    Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I have a ZX300 and here's a bit of a heads-up.
    1.After the first usage check all bolts......some were loose.
    2.Take the tow-ball bolt spanner...mine came loose with 3 bikes on after about 80 miles.This only happened the first couple of times so maybe I'd been over cautious with the bolt?
    3.The little baskets the wheels sit in were nowhere near far enough apart for the Full-suss,even when positioned on their most outward setting,so I had to modify.
    4.The two bars supplied to hold the bikes in position/apart don't work on either of the 3 FS bikes(Nukeproof/Trek/Giant) so we had to use a bit of foam/rag to stop them rubbing together.I've since bought some pipe-lagging from B&Q.
    All that aside with a bit of tweaking it's a great bit of kit for the money 8)
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    The Rookie wrote:
    Your not towing, no need to tell the insurer at all (even if you are towing on most policies).
    Why not tell the insurers? It takes a few minutes and, in my case, made no difference to the premium and ensures you are covered. Better safe than sorry.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    bladeone wrote:
    But when you could have 5k worth of bike on back and you took a shunt, it may be worth checking out.

It would be the other guys problem. They should have told their insurers they were planning on rear ending you.
    If it was your fault they wouldn't be covered anyway.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Good point prawny bout the 3rd party problem.

Thanks ibbo for the heads up regarding the witter, as they would be FS bike the clamping arms maybe useless then, the thule system maybe the way to go then with having the separating bar between them.

So when I get one I'll build it up and take it for a shake down with no bikes on.

Thanks guys for all info.
    YT Capra Pro Race
    Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)