160mm to 140mm rotor?

peter413
peter413 Posts: 5,120
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Seriously considering replacing the rear 160mm rotor on my rigid with a 140mm rotor. I need a new rotor anyway and have the right mount. Plus the Ashima Airotors are only £10 for a 140mm.

Am I going to loose much power really? I certainly don't need all the power that the 160 offers despite weighing over 100kg's. Anyone have any thoughts? I've heard the Airotors aren't as powerful as others.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It'll cost you a tenner to find out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Effective surface area of the disc has no effect on friction, although you need to use a harder pad to stop it distorting into the gaps too much.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • peter413
    That's the theory but if people are finding different then that's what's happening in the real world. I've found certain rotors to have slightly less stopping power compared to others (Hayes V6 to an Avid G3CS for example).

I always use sintered pads so the pad thing isn't a worry.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I did exactly this as an experiment, and you probably won't notice the difference once it's bedded in. It saves a tiny bit of weight as well
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • peter413
    Perfect, exactly what I wanted to hear. Too bad the white one is now out of stock, have to be a gold one I guess :(
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    peter413 wrote:
    I certainly don't need all the power that the 160 offers

If that's true then fair enough but you might want to think about less frequent riding situations. I've gone from a 200 to a 180 to a 160 on the back of the Voltage and while the smaller rotor is still adequate for jra, it's not as responsive if I want to 'dab' it to scrub off speed and long descents absolutely fry it

Just saying like