How to ride roots?

2»

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Except you are going to lose most of your blood trying out the Gnarrlyyy Skillzz I just sent you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • prawny wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    HaydenJ wrote:
    Bleeding, resting, and crying like a girl at this point, must have tried this 10+ times and never nailed it!

They look dry, what was the problem?

They do a lot of that oop north, up at Kirri I was stumped by all the rock step ups like that. No chance to build up any momentum and cant pedal up it/no trials skillz.

I'll keep an eye out for that when I'm there next summer and if I make it I'll come on here and gloat :twisted:

Hahaha, good luck and I want video proof!

It's annoying because you can see the line that's been used before but the momentum gets you nowhere near. I'll be back next year to give it another go!
  • Mojo_666 wrote:
    HaydenJ wrote:
    Bleeding, resting, and crying like a girl at this point, must have tried this 10+ times and never nailed it!

Unless the camera's exaggerating the gradient of the slope, I don't think I could pedal up that without the roots... :lol:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    HaydenJ wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    HaydenJ wrote:

They do a lot of that oop north, up at Kirri I was stumped by all the rock step ups like that. No chance to build up any momentum and cant pedal up it/no trials skillz.

I'll keep an eye out for that when I'm there next summer and if I make it I'll come on here and gloat :twisted:

Hahaha, good luck and I want video proof!

It's annoying because you can see the line that's been used before but the momentum gets you nowhere near. I'll be back next year to give it another go!

It'll be on video success or fail. Looking at it, the best line looks borked from over use and/or rain. Quite looking forward to it now. Don't think I've got any chance mind.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • HaydenJ wrote:
    Look past them and let your bike do the work, unless trying to ride up them ofcourse, this was me at Dalbeattie a few weeks ago,

C13AD862-35D8-45CA-AF22-DE497DD5F048-430-0000002EA669520E_zpsf0c26f1d.jpg

Start left, then go right to the bottom of the roots. To get up the first bit is the hardest part but swearing should help.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Wheres the fun? 9 times out of 10 Your're just going to end up coming off

have you ever ridden cwmcarn?
  • welshkev wrote:

No - go on
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:

No - go on

well you'd be pretty much pushing all the way to the top if you don't like riding up roots :lol:
  • welshkev wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

No - go on

well you'd be pretty much pushing all the way to the top if you don't like riding up roots :lol:

And the problem with that is... :D I dont care much for riding uphill in any ocasion. Guess Im not a true mountain biker or something
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

No - go on

And the problem with that is... :D I dont care much for riding uphill in any ocasion. Guess Im not a true mountain biker or something

me either, I ride up the fireroad, I fecking hate that climb :lol:
  • welshkev wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

No - go on

me either, I ride up the fireroad, I ******* hate that climb :lol:

I almsot always am gratefull for the pushup, it gives me a break :) Sometimes when I get to the bottom I'm literally shaking and cant imagine trying to carry on riding haha
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    For riding up gnarly rocks and roots, I normally find it best to plow over stuff rather than try to makes lots of direction changes round stuff. Obviously this works better on a 160mm bike than a hardtail.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    lochussie wrote:
    For riding up gnarly rocks and roots, I normally find it best to plow over stuff rather than try to makes lots of direction changes round stuff. Obviously this works better on a 160mm bike than a hardtail.

Think the police want to use those bikes. Apparently so they can chase criminals up stairs. I'd like to see one of those bikes climb stairs faster than a fleeing criminal.