Flats shoes for winter

grenw
grenw Posts: 803
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
The last 2 winters my toes have been bloody freezing after an hour or so of riding. I don't want the same again this year.

I've tried Woolie Boolies on their own and with liner socks, Sealskinz with our without liner socks and nothing seems to work much when it goes below zero.

I'm now thinking of changing shoes. I'm currently wearing Vans Gravels http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vans ... tAodfhAALA which seem pretty substantial and keep my feet pretty much dry but maybe aren't enough.

Any thoughts on what can be done and if it's new shoes then which ones?

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Depends a lot on how warm you are generally, but I can do fine in Shimano AM41s with just Sealskinz for most of a Swedish winter. This assumes my legs are properly covered too though and this usually seems to be the area people miss; it's a lot of space to lose heat from the blood heading for your feet.
  • grenw
    Usually wear full length Singletracks that time of year. Never had a problem with legs being cold
  • Shimano AM41 with some good socks
  • grenw
    Never really thought of them before. Being shallow I've been put off by the looks but if they are that much better in the wet/cold then they'll be well worth it. Not that badly priced either
  • I have used Five Tens before and they are crap in winter. They are really absorbant so once you get them wet your feet just freeze. Shimanos are loads better and still 95% of the grip of Five Tens
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    Sealskinz are good at keeping toes dry but not all that warm, walking socks are pretty good at that and often keep feet fairly dry, unless you're wadeing through fords.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • I rode a lot in the snow this year, I wore merino base socks, knee lenght seals skins and northface footwear, my toes still got a little cold after 2 hours though, everything else was fine, just the toes, but it was the best i could get.
  • grenw
    Just came across these. Seem to be new out so doubt anyone has any opinions?

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-de ... team-black

Freeriders with waterproofing and some insulation.
  • Siarm
    Siarm Posts: 102
    How tight are your shoes? Have found that if they're tight with two pairs of socks on, it defeats the purpose and I get cold feet, slacken them off and my feet are not as cold.
    Still get cold feet though.. even with knee height sealskinz, thermal liners and leg warmers. :cry:

Can you not get battery powered insoles be toasty then.
  • Siarm wrote:
    Can you not get battery powered insoles be toasty then.

Various motorcycle clothing manufacturers make them (never tried 'em myself, but my battery powered heated waistcoat's brilliant).
  • Ugg Boots with plenty of Dubbin.. very warm they are....

Steal the wifes :)