Few problems with bike

Greeny1210
Greeny1210 Posts: 17
edited September 2013 in MTB beginners
Eyup guys

Had my bike (rockrider 5.2) serviced at decathlon a few weeks back (free 6 month service) was having a few problems with gear being a bit noisy and also chain often coming off when switching down gears (the main 3 on left hand side) since my service they have been worse apart from first couple of days, loads of cranking noises, also making cranking noises now with each pedal rotation not sure if thats the pedals or chain tbh
Now it seems that the main gears have stopped working totally (the other 8 on the right work)
Its a bit of a ballache to take it back in so any advice for a complete novice (I mean I can't even change a puncture) :oops:

Also I had my back tire changed as it was going bold since then a few times I have been going up say a lowered kerb at an angle or going over something uneven the back wheel seems to kind of get caught and skids (almost come off a few times and this never happened once in 6 months before now its happened about 4 times in 3 rides, same kind of mtb tyre but looks a little bit thinner width wise than the front on

any help much appreciated :)

Comments

• Greeny1210 wrote:
    Eyup guys

Had my bike (rockrider 5.2) serviced at decathlon a few weeks back (free 6 month service) was having a few problems with gear being a bit noisy and also chain often coming off when switching down gears (the main 3 on left hand side) since my service they have been worse apart from first couple of days, loads of cranking noises, also making cranking noises now with each pedal rotation not sure if thats the pedals or chain tbh
    Now it seems that the main gears have stopped working totally (the other 8 on the right work)
    Its a bit of a ballache to take it back in so any advice for a complete novice (I mean I can't even change a puncture) :oops:

Also I had my back tire changed as it was going bold since then a few times I have been going up say a lowered kerb at an angle or going over something uneven the back wheel seems to kind of get caught and skids (almost come off a few times and this never happened once in 6 months before now its happened about 4 times in 3 rides, same kind of mtb tyre but looks a little bit thinner width wise than the front on

any help much appreciated :)

Maybe decathlon are racing halfords to the bottom ?

it would seem most likely that they have failed to adjust your gears correctly and the noises your getting are the gears being just on the edge of changing,What to do about it ? well take it back, take it somewhere else or do it yourself. Its a fath doing them, but not what you would call difficult, their are dozen of you tube vids on how to do it all of which make it look slightly easier than it is, but it seems unlikely you could make it much worse than it is now even if you only get it going to take somewhere else

As for your Tyre problem, are the roads now damper than they were in the long hot summer ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Read the parktools.com website and have a look at how to index your own gear.

By 'cranking noise' it could be chain rub on the front derailleur which can happen on some bikes if the wrong gear ratios are selected.

You perhaps need to learn how to ride the bike, the rear is the main gear (for changing) using the right hand shifter, the left lever (front chainrings) gives bigger jumps and a clunky change.

Maybe the rear tyre is now at the right pressure? Cut up a kerb at an angle and it's not unusual for the rear to slide along it, poor technique really.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Read ‘Read this first’ below and adjust as required.

Ride up a kerb at an angle and the wheel will slide - luckily for you it's been the back not the front.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Stick the front gears (left hand) in the middle ring and play around with riding only using the rear (right hand) gears - with the middle ring you should find the chain doesnt rub too much on the front mech even in the extremes of the rear cassette.

Pump a bit of air in the rear tyre to see if it helps but its worth remembering the weather is wetter now and the cheaper tyres tend to have less grip in the wet especially knobbly tyres on tarmac.

If the rear tyre is going bald I assume you are doing some wicked skids or riding huge miles - if the later good for you, if the former its your pocket money.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.