How knackered is my chainstay?! (pics)

Wormishere1
Wormishere1 Posts: 284
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
So, just been sorting my bike and noticed this large area of rubbing on the chainstay:

5k27bd.jpg

Using my calipers it looks as though it is around 0.3mm deep

I am kind of assumng this is death to the frame, or is it quite typical? It is a Cannondale F800.

There is enough tyre clearance too, but I think it must rub when I put the power down on the pedals?

i71oau.jpg

In the meantime I am going to wrap it with a bit of old tube to stop it fowling that area again and again...

Any thoughts onto how serious this is?
Remember Rule #5

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't wrap a tube, stop the wheel/tyre moving to rub it in the first place! Tyres look to big for teh frame, very little mud clearance.

If the black spec in the middle is a whole in the tubing then the frame is scrap. Otherwise just watch it like a hawk for a while.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi, should have said 'I have a ride planned today with friends so will put some tube over it...'

Found a loose spoke on the wheel so going to take it in for a re-tension and see if that helps keep the wheel straight.
    Remember Rule #5
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Don't wrap a tube, stop the wheel/tyre moving to rub it in the first place! Tyres look to big for teh frame, very little mud clearance.

If the black spec in the middle is a whole in the tubing then the frame is scrap. Otherwise just watch it like a hawk for a while.

I wouldn't normally point out someones misspelling but you were all over me last week

if if there is a small HOLE, it wont right the frame off, a blob of weld and it will be fine
  • Don't you just love your last sentence. If you're going to pick holes on the whole it is probably best you write it, er, right.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Someone's

If

won't

Just saying!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Given that your frame is constructed in heat-treated alloy, getting someone to weld a blob of filler may result in accelerated failure due to heat stress. It might be better to apply a reinforcing 'bandage' of carbon fibre and epoxy - you can buy repair kits online.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • As mentioned that tyre is too wide. I wouldn't fit a tyre that sat that close to the stays.

I wouldn't wrap it with anything, you need to be able to keep an eye on it.

And fit a slimmer tyre too.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • 0.3 mm is about as thick as a cats cock hair, that would be no problem your wear looks a lot thicker than that!
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Get your wheel fixed.

Get a tyre that fits your frame.

Sorted.