Man with a Van

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
Anybody know a reliable man with a van who would be interested in a drive to Inverness?

I arranged delivery of a sofa I bought on eBay through Shiply. I confirmed the date I needed it here by in writing before I accepted the quotation. Anyhow, to cut a short story shorter still, he's reneged on the commitment.

The sofa is in Bromley, Kent and I need it here by Sunday 29th Sept latest (so it can get shipped to Amsterdam)
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Would it not be easier (and cheaper) to get it shipped to the 'Dam?

Not helping am I?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rubertoe wrote:

Not helping am I?

Well, it's a fair question. The only concern I have it that stairs in apartments in the 'Dam are near vertical. Getting a big sofa up them will be a significant challenge without the requisite equipment. Last thing I want is a sofa that I can't manage to get into the flat.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    rubertoe wrote:

Not helping am I?

Well, it's a fair question. The only concern I have it that stairs in apartments in the 'Dam are near vertical. Getting a big sofa up them will be a significant challenge without the requisite equipment. Last thing I want is a sofa that I can't manage to get into the flat.
    How is going via Inverness going to make that easier? :lol:

I am assuming there is a contract for the big move so you are not actually doing it yourself.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'd have bought a sofa in Amsterdam! And, please, no more of this "the 'Dam" shennaningans. Or I get cross. And when I'm cross I kill kittens.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    I'd have bought a sofa in Amsterdam! And, please, no more of this "the 'Dam" shennaningans. Or I get cross. And when I'm cross I kill kittens.

It's OK - I hate kittens. 'Dam 'Dam 'Dam 'Dam 'Dam :wink:

Well - that was my plan originally.

BUT - new sofas are typically on 12 weeks delivery - I didn't want quarter of a year sat on a wooden floor.

AND this sofa is a Collins & Hayes leather sofa absolutely identical to the one I have at home. That sofa (heavily discounted as a cancelled order for a hotel that went bust) was £2,700. This eBay one was £750. Friends, having sat on our one, had one made to order at nearer £5k. It's a bargain.

My Plan B is to just take a sofa from home and have this one delivered later (which the seller can do) to match the other one.
  • daviesee wrote:
    I am assuming there is a contract for the big move so you are not actually doing it yourself.

:wink:

In fact, given it's just a small flat for living in during the week, it's only a small move. That, in itself, is a PITA. Frankly the whole thing would have been easier if I'd rented a van and driven to Amsterdam.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'd suggest you rent a van and drive it to Amsterdam yourself.
  • CiB wrote:

That would have been the most easy thing in retrospect...
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    CiB wrote:

To cover costs of van hire, you could of encouraged some London folk to ride and acted as support...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • daviesee
    rubertoe wrote:
    CiB wrote:

To cover costs of van hire, you could have encouraged some London folk to ride and acted as support...
    Tour!
    Avoid motorways, supply your route and dates to act as support and we join in enroute.
    Road trip on bikes to Amsterdam.
  • daviesee wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    CiB wrote:

To cover costs of van hire, you could have encouraged some London folk to ride and acted as support...
    Tour!
    Avoid motorways, supply your route and dates to act as support and we join in enroute.
    Road trip on bikes to Amsterdam.

That would have been fun. Maybe a trip for next year - Amsterdam to Inverness by bike (I won't have a sofa on my bike though :wink: )
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    http://www.prontodespatchworld.com/

This guy has vans, 7.5t & 40t all over the UK/Europe and is always looking for a backload - give them a go.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Pufftmw wrote:

This guy has vans, 7.5t & 40t all over the UK/Europe and is always looking for a backload - give them a go.

Saying that, he might even take it to Amsterdam for you...
  • CiB wrote:

Most easy??? Gnnnnnn....... EASIEST!

dam dam dam dam (Oh hell.... mew)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • daviesee
    That would have been fun. Maybe a trip for next year - Amsterdam to Inverness by bike (I won't have a sofa on my bike though :wink: )
    But, but, but.....
    If you're cycling we won't have a support van. :wink:
  • Pufftmw wrote:

Thanks - they wouldn't do it but gave me another contact to try
  • daviesee wrote:
    But, but, but.....
    If you're cycling we won't have a support van. :wink:

Especially not one with a sofa in the back (and a bed - oh, and a Tacx turbo trainer....)(would be a great way to get some KoMs though: "He must have ridden the segment - there's an HR trace and a cadence trace")
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I won't have a sofa on my bike though :wink:
    I have actually seen a cyclist carrying a three piece suite - sofa strapped on the rack, a chair hooked over each arm of the sofa. Lightweight rattan type stuff, but it was a three piece suite with cushions and all. It was in Uganda, where pretty much anything goes by bike - the runner up was a full-sized pig, i.e. near 6ft long and must have been something like 200lbs.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    bompington wrote:
    I have actually seen a cyclist carrying a three piece suite - sofa strapped on the rack, a chair hooked over each arm of the sofa. Lightweight rattan type stuff, but it was a three piece suite with cushions and all. It was in Uganda, where pretty much anything goes by bike - the runner up was a full-sized pig, i.e. near 6ft long and must have been something like 200lbs.
    They were carrying all that and having a race!!! Wow, makes SCR seem rather tame in comparison. Not surprised the guy with the pig came second.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I'm still not getting why you just don't ship to Amsterdam? Am I missing something? Do you want to be there when it arrives? If so why not ask a London based silly commuter (better still a bromley based one) if they have any room in garage and or shed for a sofa and ship it to them if in Bromley then it easy, then when in Amsterdam, get it shipped out. Another option is to rent a storage unit in Bromley for week or two. Both of these have got to be cheaper than driving one to inverness then one from inverness to Amsterdam. I'd offer but I'm moving in 2 or 3 weeks. Which does include an upgraded man cave / garage but that won't help you.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • bompington wrote:

What size frame was the pig riding? I can imagine his torso length is pretty good, so a 56 or a 58cm would be suitable but they've only got little legs. I reckon a pig could get away with a recumbent though, but the crank length might still be a problem.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Sketchley wrote:
    I'm still not getting why you just don't ship to Amsterdam? Am I missing something? Do you want to be there when it arrives? If so why not ask a London based silly commuter (better still a bromley based one) if they have any room in garage and or shed for a sofa and ship it to them if in Bromley then it easy, then when in Amsterdam, get it shipped out. Another option is to rent a storage unit in Bromley for week or two. Both of these have got to be cheaper than driving one to inverness then one from inverness to Amsterdam. I'd offer but I'm moving in 2 or 3 weeks. Which does include an upgraded man cave / garage but that won't help you.....

Getting it into the apartment is the challenge. The stairs are near-vertical (in common with most places over there) and the sofa is very big and very heavy. The stairs are so steep, it's going to be a challenge carrying my Scott Foil up.

By delivering it the Inverness, the removals company (paid for by my new employer) will deal with it including the hoist I think they'll need to get it and the bed into the flat. My big worry would be the sofa turning up and simply not having the capability to get it in. I could, of course, hire a hoist myself but that's added aggro I could do without given everything else I need to sort out.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Why not call the removal company that you employer is paying for and come up with a solution that works for everyone. Maybe they could pick it up ship to Amsterdam and hoist it up, they could tell your employer they picked it up in inverness or at least bill it as if they did, and you give them a few extra quid and a nice drink for their trouble. Then you don't have to pay for man and van your quids in. It's what I would do.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    My Plan B is to just take a sofa from home and have this one delivered later (which the seller can do) to match the other one.

Sounds the most sensible - it buys you time, which you don't have right now. Paying for shipping of large/heavy stuff "now now now" seems like a good way of spending money.

(PS: I might know of someone moving back up to the Muir of Ord-ish around December time!)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Sketchley wrote:
    Why not call the removal company that you employer is paying for and come up with a solution that works for everyone. Maybe they could pick it up ship to Amsterdam and hoist it up, they could tell your employer they picked it up in inverness or at least bill it as if they did, and you give them a few extra quid and a nice drink for their trouble. Then you don't have to pay for man and van your quids in. It's what I would do.

I wish it were that simple. The trouble is that there's a relocation company that then subcontracts the move to another company which then subcontracts the removals to another company. It's all meant to be helpful but, honestly, I'd much rather have sorted this bit myself. I'm doing a bit more research on the options at the Amsterdam end. I might get some quotes on Amsterdam delivery.