To Buy a new Bike or do I Upgrade

Rich232
Rich232 Posts: 6
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Hi, I bought myself a Giant Defy 5 last year (2012 model) & don't know if I should upgrade or buy new..
I'm planning my first triathlon next year & don't know firstly if my bike will be siutable. should I upgrade all componants or just bite the bullet & buy a bike thats already kitted out..
Help Please....

Rich

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    New bike always best choice. :)
  • Why is your bike not good enough for your first triathlon?
  • I don't know is the honest answer, I've only been cycling for a year & was looking for some advice...
    I think I also wanted to know if the bike I have is worth spending money on or not
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Unless you know what your current bike is lacking, how do you know what to look for in a new bike?

Expensive stuff looks and feels nicer, and might make you feel more confident, but only the engine will make any difference to your speed.

The only thing that will make any real difference are better tyres & wheels, which will also knock a kg of your current setup. Gearing is dependent on your terrain, so by all means change this if needed, but even the most expensive groupset isn't going to change your speed.

That's what I tell myself everytime I start drooling over a new bike.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Unless you know what your current bike is lacking, how do you know what to look for in a new bike?

Expensive stuff looks and feels nicer, and might make you feel more confident, but only the engine will make any difference to your speed.

The only thing that will make any real difference are better tyres & wheels, which will also knock a kg of your current setup. Gearing is dependent on your terrain, so by all means change this if needed, but even the most expensive groupset isn't going to change your speed.

That's what I tell myself everytime I start drooling over a new bike.

Edit - benefit of wheel upgrade is that they are easily transferable when you do upgrade (and you will) and let you use your old ones for winter/wet weather trainers. Also useful to keep them kitted up for the times when you go in the garage ready for your ride and find a puncture.
  • Thanks for your input, your probably right, I'm looking at all these expensive bikes thinking to myself that they are that price for a reason & started looking into the components on them compared to the components on mine & thinking better components = smoother ride etc. Thanks for your advice I think I need to stop looking at all these new bikes & wait till I've worn mine well & truly out.... Time to work on the FITNESS!!!!!
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    Rich232 wrote:
    Thanks for your advice I think I need to stop looking at all these new bikes & wait till I've worn mine well & truly out.... Time to work on the FITNESS!!!!!
    Now, that sounds sensible

MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!