hope headsets

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
whats the verdict on these, worth the money ?

My trek hardtail just over a year old needs a new headset, the current one fsa headset with riding in all weathers rusted up, i have stripped and cleaned the bearings was a paintaking them all out and regreasing up but its knackered.

the current bearings fit into cups pressed into the frame so will these fit that i have seen on merlins

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... -cups.html

looking at the option number 2, Top - 1 1/8" Integral (43.95 diameter) with (B) Bottom - 1 1/8" Integral (43.95 diameter)

is there any other headsets to look at, i have checked out cane creek but not sure which would fit my bike, i dont need the star nut and bolt etc so the reason for looking at the hope pick n mix option.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well you need to workout what type of headset you have top and bottom.

they buy the same type. remove the crown race from the fork fit new crown race get old headset removed press new headset cups in to place assemble.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Your initial question, are they worth it.. Yes personally I think so
    Chris King is also very reputable
    As long as you look after the hope or King headset it will probably last longer than the frame
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But the bearings won't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    cooldad wrote:
    But the bearings won't.

No but at least they're a quick fix and you can get a good cartridge bearing to last several years if it's maintained properly
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    nicklouse wrote:
    well you need to workout what type of headset you have top and bottom.

they buy the same type. remove the crown race from the fork fit new crown race get old headset removed press new headset cups in to place assemble.

Its a 1 1/8 semi intergrated headset from fsa that is installed on the bike, so should be about 44mm in size but will double check that before ordering.

I hope headtubes are a standard size and every bike maker doesnt use different sizes.

So the hope one i linked to earlier will fit my bike ?
    (2) Top - 1 1/8" Integral (43.95 dia) with (B) Bottom - 1 1/8" Integral (43.95 dia)
  • Jay76
    Jay76 Posts: 58
    I just recently had a Hope headset (traditional) fitted and it feels great. they got a glowing review by BikeRadar too. Chris King are supposed to last forever but are expensive. I know I wont have my bike forever so went with Hope for half the money.
    **2011 Cove Stiffee**
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    swod1 wrote:
    I hope headtubes are a standard size and every bike maker doesnt use different sizes.
    loads of standards. have a read of them on Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown