I was pushed off my bike by a tom jones lookalike :(

dubcat
dubcat Posts: 737
edited September 2013 in MTB general
I did the London to Brighton off road ride today. A few miles after the start I was cycling with lots of other people on the Thames path. A man was jogging and out of nowhere he ran in to me and shoulder barged me off my bike :( My knee and hands were cut up. My arm was saved by the arm warmers I was wearing. My brake lever flew off, my bike was scratched up and my suspension lock out has a stopped working.

I stood up ready to thump him. He was maybe not expecting me to do that as I accused him of doing this on purpose which he definitely did as I was in the middle of a line of people and he ran in to me from the side. I went towards him when another runner came between us and said he did not see what happened but that it was not worth doing whatever I was about to do. He asked me if I was ok. I looked over his shoulder at the idiot who pushed me. He was not a serious runner. He was wearing thick jogging bottms and a polo shirt. The only thing that saved him was his age and the kind jogger who was doing his best to calm me down.

I spent the rest of the ride in pain thinking about all the things I should have done to him.

I spoke to a couple of stewards quite far up the road and told them what had happened. They described him to a tee. They said he had been shouting at cyclists for some way along the path.

If I didn't live so far from there I'd see if he ran past next weekend and then steam roller the twat.
2010 Specialized Rockhopper
2012 Bianchi Infinito

Comments

• RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Sorry to hear that....But its "Not Unusual" !!
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • Maybe he was jealous as you looked like a "sexbomb" in your lycra....
  • I cant picture Tom Jones in jogging bottoms unless they were snake skin.

But he sounds like a d*ck - I will no longer be buying his records.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • There are some strange people about :(
    RDB66 wrote:
    Sorry to hear that....But its "Not Unusual" !!

:lol:
  • You should have asked him why, why, why,
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Maybe better not have dived in as often only "Fools rush in".

On a serious note hope it didn't spoil your day too much - I dud with a couple of mates and had a love hate relationship with the ride - love everything before the downs link, love everything after the downs link, hate the downs link...

M.
  • dubcat
    Some class replies above :) If I'm honest I spent the next hour really angry. It was the injustice of the whole thing that got to me. I kept reliving the moment and thinking about all of the witty things I could have said :)

It didn't spoils the ride after that. I know what you mean about the downs link. It is SO monotonous. I was thinking of doing an ultra on the downs link as my first ultra run. I've changed my mind. It would be even more monotonous on foot.

It was all worth it for that stretch of down hill on the South Downs at the end :)
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Scumbag. Going to report to Police ?
    Nice to list Tom's Greatest Hits :D
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!
  • dubcat
    Nah don't see the point. The police don't have the resources to deal with this kind of thing.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • As it Happens i also saw this, Was riding 20 yards behind when this happened

The Runner had punched (although not hard) one of my fellow riders in the arm seconds before this (probably about 30 yards in front of you)

this guy ( the aged runner) certainly had a chip as large as (the south downs) on his shoulder.

How you enjoyed teh ride
  • dubcat
    Well seeing as the ride was for the British Hear Foundation I know exactly how I hope this guy kicks the bucket. I hate him more this morning due to the fact that I will miss my run today because I can hardly lift my arm, my finger tips are bloody sore and my leg feels like it's been stung by a 100 bee's.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,325
    Sorry to hear that Dubcat.
    Was this along the stretch before Hampton Court? There was a bloke running along there with his arm out slapping everyone as they passed. He got a few choice words in response, presumably that only enraged him more and he upped his game. The bloke running with him seemed to get through with no problems. The guy was obviously just pondlife and as you say a bit of karma wouldn't go amiss.
    Glad you managed to finish the ride. That drop down to the sea is great, a couple of fun bits in the north downs too. Just too many people and not enough space at times. Good fun though, except for the Downs Link being soooo long.
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Dubcat wrote:
    Nah don't see the point. The police don't have the resources to deal with this kind of thing.

I don't even live in the UK so take this as you will but please, please report that guy to the police. He assaulted you (allegedly of course) and it sounds like he may have assaulted others to some degree or other. He will probably do it again and may well do worse. Good people like you not reporting it will unfortunatly only embolden him. I understand why to are reticent to report, but in my opinion you need to.

My 2 pennies worth... Resume normal transmissions...
  • Agree with reporting , it's possible other reports may have gone in .

I will keep an eye out as it is near the green green grass of home for me . ( could ask advice from plod as my sis is local plod )