removing cones

bradzin
bradzin Posts: 33
edited September 2013 in Workshop
I am trying to service my rear hub.

I have removed the drive side cone from the axle but cannot for the life of me get the other cone off.

It is so tight and just won't budge. When trying to turn the locknut the cone spanner is bending and then slipping off.

I need to get this side off in order to adjust the cones correctly when I re-assemble.

The hubs are not branded, they are on a specialized secteur 2011.

Any ideas on what I could do?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you need better cone spanners.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Soak it with WD40 or Plusgas and it may loosen but you don't need to take it off to adjust your cones - leave it where it is and set the tightness with the other one. I have never removed both cones - you only need to do that if you want to check the axle is not bent and need to roll it. Check the Park Tools website maintenance if you don't believe me.
  • If you must loosen that cone, remove the axle from the hub, clamp the locknut in a bench vise, then use a more sturdy cone wrench.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Soak it with WD40 or Plusgas and it may loosen but you don't need to take it off to adjust your cones - leave it where it is and set the tightness with the other one. I have never removed both cones - you only need to do that if you want to check the axle is not bent and need to roll it. Check the Park Tools website maintenance if you don't believe me.

I can't set the tightness with the other one as the freehub is in the way and prevents access to holding the cone steady as I turn the locknut.
    The cones are specific to each side so I can't just turn the axle round the other way.
  • Ok sounds like you need to get an axle vice

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Park-Tool-AV1-A ... tAodeRsAYw

Soak it and then fit it in the vice in a bench vice and hopefully it will loosen.