Flat bar road bike advice

2»

Comments

• declan1 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    When did I ever say that flat bar bikes were crap? I completely agree that they're great for urban riding where you require more control.

If you didnt say it, then I apologise. I didnt intend to imply that you specifically did, just that every (and I mean every) post on here asking about flat bar road bikes or hybrids ends with loads of people saying they are crap and to get drops as you will regret flat bars and want to change very soon. Thats why the Chum fella was having a tad of a rant because he was fully expecting the normal baseless arguements to come soon...

I kind of understand his rant but he's taking it way too far. I understand ranting about people ranting about flat bar bikes ( :P ) but he's basically saying all roadies are stupid and are buying bikes that are pointless - that isn't true.

No, I'm saying you are single minded in the fact that you imply (whether you admit it or not) that flat bar bikes are only any good for very few & far between reasons- which is, rubbish!!

Most of the "wannabe pro roadie" arguments are just regurgitated garbage brought on by too much theory & not enough common sense!!

Why would anyone regret having flat bars on long rides? I for one longed for them on long rides, fed up with having to constantly change hand position because none of them are quite right to begin with!

The OP wanted a comfortable, able commuter & as predicted, we get pictures of Fabian Cancellara in the middle of a race to try & nuance some stupid dreamed up fact! :roll:

If you like road bikes, great but drop bar talk is 90% bullpoop at best in my experience for normal people. It proves the fact when now & again someone asks how much time people spend in that position & the answer comes back as virtually none!! :roll:

Stop making up things that I didn't even say. I have NOT been saying flat-bar bikes are crap.

If you want to be like that, I could suggest that perhaps you're not comfortable on the drops because you're a little on the large side? I'm rather light weight and find drop bars considerably more comfortable than flat bars as I can find many different positions to use. I'm not suggesting everyone should use a road bike because they're better...

I just came back from a 20 mile ride of which about 70% was spent in the drops.

Oh right, so, first you suggest I can't afford a road bike & now it's "I'm a little on the large side"!! Both because I don't agree with you! Ha harrr, :lol::lol:

Typical reply :roll:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    declan1 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    When did I ever say that flat bar bikes were crap? I completely agree that they're great for urban riding where you require more control.

If you didnt say it, then I apologise. I didnt intend to imply that you specifically did, just that every (and I mean every) post on here asking about flat bar road bikes or hybrids ends with loads of people saying they are crap and to get drops as you will regret flat bars and want to change very soon. Thats why the Chum fella was having a tad of a rant because he was fully expecting the normal baseless arguements to come soon...

I kind of understand his rant but he's taking it way too far. I understand ranting about people ranting about flat bar bikes ( :P ) but he's basically saying all roadies are stupid and are buying bikes that are pointless - that isn't true.

No, I'm saying you are single minded in the fact that you imply (whether you admit it or not) that flat bar bikes are only any good for very few & far between reasons- which is, rubbish!!

Most of the "wannabe pro roadie" arguments are just regurgitated garbage brought on by too much theory & not enough common sense!!

Why would anyone regret having flat bars on long rides? I for one longed for them on long rides, fed up with having to constantly change hand position because none of them are quite right to begin with!

The OP wanted a comfortable, able commuter & as predicted, we get pictures of Fabian Cancellara in the middle of a race to try & nuance some stupid dreamed up fact! :roll:

If you like road bikes, great but drop bar talk is 90% bullpoop at best in my experience for normal people. It proves the fact when now & again someone asks how much time people spend in that position & the answer comes back as virtually none!! :roll:

Stop making up things that I didn't even say. I have NOT been saying flat-bar bikes are crap.

If you want to be like that, I could suggest that perhaps you're not comfortable on the drops because you're a little on the large side? I'm rather light weight and find drop bars considerably more comfortable than flat bars as I can find many different positions to use. I'm not suggesting everyone should use a road bike because they're better...

Oh right, so, first you suggest I can't afford a road bike & now it's "I'm a little on the large side"!! Both because I don't agree with you! Ha harrr, :lol::lol:

You are one really annoying person. I never said you can't afford a road bike. I was thinking of POTENTIAL reasons as to why you seem to have a passionate hatred against them.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • declan1 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

You are one really annoying person. I never said you can't afford a road bike. I was thinking of POTENTIAL reasons as to why you seem to have a passionate hatred against them.

If you don't like road bikes or can't afford to get one or something, please don't have a rant and convince everyone else that they're crap.

Here you go, incase it slipped your mind son, you'll be coming round to deck me next at this rate!! :lol::lol:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    He'll have to join the queue ;)
  • declan1
    declan1 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

If you don't like road bikes or can't afford to get one or something, please don't have a rant and convince everyone else that they're crap.

Here you go, incase it slipped your mind son, you'll be coming round to deck me next at this rate!! :lol::lol:

You're blind as well?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• declan1 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

You're blind as well?

It's only you who can't see my signature!! Look downwards

It should be about

Here↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • declan1
    declan1 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

You're blind as well?

It's only you who can't see my signature!! Look downwards

It should be about

Here↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

OR SOMETHING.

If you hate them so much, why do you have one??

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Do you guys really have to repost the entire argument over and over again just so that you can add your smart one liner to the end?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    There's no argument - it has to be drops for the OP. Why? Because you lot when communting, tend to start racing each other on a whim.
    So you need drop h'bars to:

1. Be more streamlined to go faster than that geeky skinny tw4t with the bike clips and his broad rimmed NHS specs
    2. Be able to get between the No.13 bus and the railings easier
    3. Use wacky handle bar tape
    4. Impress the girl at the flower shop as you whizz by - 'cos you haven't got the cahonas to ask her out, so you need to show her how fit you are and that going out with a merchant banker who drives a Porsche and has a wallet thicker than your cycle helmet box is a waste of time.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    Do you guys really have to repost the entire argument over and over again just so that you can add your smart one liner to the end?

No, but that's what happens when you throw a 17 year old student into the mix!!! LMAO :lol::lol:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • declan1
    There's no argument - it has to be drops for the OP. Why? Because you lot when communting, tend to start racing each other on a whim.
    So you need drop h'bars to:

1. Be more streamlined to go faster than that geeky skinny tw4t with the bike clips and his broad rimmed NHS specs
    2. Be able to get between the No.13 bus and the railings easier
    3. Use wacky handle bar tape
    4. Impress the girl at the flower shop as you whizz by - 'cos you haven't got the cahonas to ask her out, so you need to show her how fit you are and that going out with a merchant banker who drives a Porsche and has a wallet thicker than your cycle helmet box is a waste of time.

This :P

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Mikey23
    I think drops are really useful ... I carry my lunch box on one side and vegetables on the other
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    I think drops are really useful ... I carry my lunch box on one side and vegetables on the other

That's all they're any good for Mikey!! :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    10! :D
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • declan1
    This is turning into quite a funny thread actually. :D

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    What happened to the OP?
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • simonhead wrote:
    What happened to the OP?

The roadie Elite have kidnapped him for creating such an outrageous thread!!

This same group are now residing in McDonalds debating curly fries Vs straight cut!!
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Mikey23
    The OP has probably gone the way of most OPs... Found something else to do, discovering the secret of life, resolving world peace etc, leaving the rest of us poor saps to lob brickbats at each with long and utterly meaningless diatribe. Such is life...
  • The OP probably got fed up because no-one answered his question, which was, could anyone recommend a good flat bar bike.

Unfortunately, the ardent and narrow minded drop-bar enthusiasts ignored his question, and climbed onto their soap box.

So die informed and helpful fora.

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • Lycra Man wrote:
    The OP probably got fed up because no-one answered his question, which was, could anyone recommend a good flat bar bike.

Unfortunately, the ardent and narrow minded drop-bar enthusiasts ignored his question, and climbed onto their soap box.

So die informed and helpful fora.

Lycra Man

Couldn't have put it better myself! :wink:

You might look back & notice however, that I did recommend this-

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m16b159s867 ... tAodswEADA
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    It's easy really. Road bikes are designed for speed, possibly at the compromise of comfort although with a good setup there's no reason that should be the case. For reasonably low speed urban commutes, especially if carrying a rucksack, a flat bar bike may offer a sensible compromise. I can only speak for myself but over more than a few miles I prefer the position on a drop bar bike. You won't get as naturally low on a flat bar bike with or without bar ends (anyone who disagrees please post a photo of someone as flat and low as that Cancellara pic on a hybrid). Hybrids / flat barred bikes have their place but there is no reason why a dropped bar bike if properly set up shouldn't be comfortable and stable.

Unfortunately someone on here has a problem understanding aerodynamic principals and won't accept that a lower frontal area will require less effort to maintain the same speed and chooses to argue that anyone who believes such things is a sheep who has fallen for a marketing gimmick. There's not much point in engaging in discussion as they are always 'right'.
  • pinno
    Pross wrote:
    It's easy really...always 'right'.

I think the horse has well and truly bolted mate.

Whistle - see if he comes back.
  • Mikey23
    To be fair, he did get three posts which were on topic, two agreeing with his choice and one suggesting a possible alternative. Out of four pages that not a bad ratio by BR standards. Perhaps he's embarrassed because he bought it and now wishes he'd got used to the drops...
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Mikey23 wrote:
    To be fair, he did get three posts which were on topic, two agreeing with his choice and one suggesting a possible alternative. Out of four pages that not a bad ratio by BR standards. Perhaps he's embarrassed because he bought it and now wishes he'd got used to the drops...
    Ah well, if you have to spend time getting used to drops...

Sorry, couldn't resist! ;-)

P.s. Whatever happened to cow horn handlebars and people turning drop bars upside down?
  • morstar wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Ah well, if you have to spend time getting used to drops...

Sorry, couldn't resist! ;-)

P.s. Whatever happened to cow horn handlebars and people turning drop bars upside down?

Wagon Wheels used to be bigger, too.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • pinno
    What happened to chopping your drop bars and turning them upside down to look like you were Laurent Fignon?