Carrera...Vulcan or Kraken?

dilbert
dilbert Posts: 3
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Simple topic here. I'm new to MTB. Selling my road bike I don't use and getting something more fun and suited to me! I've decided I am getting one of the two listed in the title but not sure which I should get (value for money, is it worth spending more or upgrading the vulcan for example?)

Links to the 2 bikes are...

Carrera Vulcan

or

Carrera Kraken

I know on paper the kraken is a better bike but as I say is it worth the extra £90 or so you pay for it? Will I notice the difference either now or in the near future, as a novice rider?

Thanks in advance!! :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you think you'll stick with it, always buy the best you can as long term it will be cheaper, the Kraken has a (bit) better fork, much better drivetrain and the slightly longer fork makes it more suited to trail use.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • same price you could have a voodoo hoodoo which is an awesome bike

remember you can join british cycling and get discount at halfords
  • How does the Voodoo Hoodoo compare to the Kraken? By the way my bro already has the discount so is gonna purchase it on my behalf and I repay him :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Voodoo has a better fork (the most important single component on an MTB), frame is a bit heavier (not much) slightly better brakes, drivetrain much of a muchness.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yslen
    Yslen Posts: 55
    The Kraken has much better tyres as well, the Vulcan's are nasty CST 1.1kg (each!) rubbish. That plus the better/lighter fork and the improved drivetrain make it very good value compared to the Vulcan. I wish I'd got one myself, in hindsight, but I was a bit cash-strapped at the time, and wasn't aware of these differences!

Throught upgrades, I've managed to get a Vulcan that's a bit lighter than a Kraken for the same money, with a better fork and faster rolling tyres... but the drivetrain is less good, and the brakes suck. Swings and roundabouts I guess, my only real regret about not getting the Kraken is that I actually much prefer the white/orange colour scheme over the black/green one!
  • I'd go for the Voodoo as the Clark's brakes on the Kraken are pretty poor.