Trailer or Bike Seat - What's Safer?

ianwilliams
ianwilliams Posts: 257
As above really, what's the safer option for a young child on their parent's bike - a trailer or a bike seat?

Is there anything to watch out for with either one?

Thanks!

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    It depends what statistics you believe I suppose. I haven't looked for any but there are probably too few incidents to be statistically meaningful. More practically, one child or two? Have you got somewhere to store a trailer? What kind of routes will you be on (urban, A roads, trail centres etc)
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    craker wrote:
    ... but there are probably too few incidents to be statistically meaningful.

This.

Although rear-mounted seats are the most common, I'm not a fan. I don't like that (changeable, moving) weight so high over my rear wheel.

I've also seen, on unfortunately more than one occasion, where the bike has gone down when being walked with a child in the seat. (With the weight off the front, it can slip more easily).

For us, a trailer and later, a front mounted seat is what we enjoyed the most. Some of these do cause you to have to splay your legs however, so check for your bike's geo and your leg length and where the seat sits. If I were buying again, I'd get a Yepp mini.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Hi guys, thanks for your thoughts. I'll pass them on to my sister and I'm sure they'll be a big help.
  • We use both. My wife takes the (just) 3 year old to nursery on a Hamax rear mounted seat on her Pashley. Works OK, but then it's only about 3k along the canal tow path. He seems happy.

I think the front mounted seats are probably better, but we have the one we have and don't really want to fork out for another.

For longer trips, holidays, family outings, etc we use the Croozer trailer, either with my Super Galaxy or the tandem. By far the best method IMO. With the tandem tends to attract a lot of attention.

The Croozer also gets a lot of use as a 3-wheeler, including walks in the hills, forest etc and when my wife goes running. It's versatile, although a bit too big to take around town.

The other approach is the front carrier trolley things. Don't know what they're called but see a lot in Holland, Belgium and also in London. Look brilliant.
  • I like the trailer we've got. I've taken our little lad out in it a few times now, usually on Sky Rides of between 5 and 8 miles. It doesn't disturb to weight distribution of the bike and makes the odd track stand actually quite a lot easier :)

On the down side, I do feel you lose a little contact with the child, you need to be very aware that the bike is over a metre longer than normal (bear in mind when going across any major roads) and the extra weight means you also need to be wary of the slower acceleration (and braking). I realise that a seat would also increase the weight, but the trailer itself is a bit of a lump
  • I was under the impression that the trailer was safer because if you took a fall, your little one won't go down with you.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    There ae two equally valid and different answers for that question.

Just as there are two equally valid answers for which is better / safer etc for front or rear mounted seats.

I know a bike handles betters and its easier to communicate on a front mounted seat.

I also know that with the cross bar mounted seats (used for the older ones) in an emergency you can carry your wife on one if she's reasonable petite :D

I think it all comes down to personal preference.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem