Here goes another £200...£300...£400...

daddy0
daddy0 Posts: 686
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
The other day I got a p******* which took out an almost new GP4000S tyre. I'm now down to my last tube and using a reserve tyre - its time to place an order...

So, box of new tubes £11, pair of GP4000S (saves £2) £56 - that pot hole was an expensive one so far...

...but whilst I'm here what else did I need to buy?

Wet lube
Link pliers
Carbon gel
Pair of CX tyres so I can give that a go
Tubes for CX tyres
Better get new brake pads for the CX bike, those cheap Clarks ones on it are terrible
That Kask Mojito has been in my shopping basket for months now
I've not yet bought a replacement front wheel after I trashed a prolite, better buy a matching pair
I need overshoes
I need more winter clothing
Shall I buy some proper CX wheels???

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm putting the mouse down and walking away from the computer...

Comments

• Vittoria Rubino Pros - as an all-rounder, I find them much better than GP4000Ss and can be had for £34 a pair. Not the end of the world if a large piece of bottle glass kills them.

As for the rest - you've no one to blame but yourself :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited September 2013
    I feel your pain.

Having bagged what is a genuine bargain on ebay with Bike 3, which I thought I'd just move Bike 2's kit over to, I'm now feeling the ripples spreading ever outwards.

Aero callipers. Simkins Eggs, second hand: $175 the pair.
    Rotor BBright to GXP ceramic (natch) bottom bracket.: $230. Ouch!
    Getting the old BBright to Shimano BB out: £10 to the LBS.
    A tool to get the new BB in - screw that, I'll use a G clamp and two blocks of wood.
    Loctite 680 to secure the new BB - £16
    A tool to get the new BB out - I can see my self needing that :oops: . £28.
    A third wheelset, which I really, really, promised myself I wouldn't get. At the moment ebay budget of £500. But it's elastic.
    Two more tyres (I have some spares, but I'll need to replace the spares) £70
    More inner tubes £15.

FFS. This is madness.

And I'm still left sharing two cranksets between three bikes.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • daddy0
    MRS - I may well go for the Rubinos. Where do you get them for £34 a pair?

Greg - it is madness.

Now I've got my "wish list" sorted I am going through it removing the things I don't need and cutting costs where possible. After that I'll probably look at it again and realise there are a bunch of other things I forgot that I needed. Then I'll run the preemptive "SWMBO wrath filter" over it again and repeat until I end up pulling the trigger on a bunch of low quality crap that I don't really want anyway.

Is this how you guys do it?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    This'll be those signs of recovery that Osborne is shouting about :lol:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Daddy0 wrote:
    MRS - I may well go for the Rubinos. Where do you get them for £34 a pair?

£27.50 :wink:
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/t ... -pair.html
    Half the price of the GP4000Ss
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I was looking at what I would need to get my workhorse back up to scratch:
    New front wheel
    New headset
    New fork
    New chainring (maybe rings if I investigate fully)
    New chain
    New cassette
    New bartape

Realistically: New bike!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Vittoria Rubino Pros - as an all-rounder, I find them much better than GP4000Ss and can be had for £34 a pair.
    I'm running both of them just now. The 4000 on the best bike and the Rubinos on the winter/commuter. They are both excellent, neither have punctured so far and they ride well. The 4000 are faster, but there's not a massive difference between them. Both are way better than the stock tyres I had.

For the price they are, the commuter will be staying on Rubinos from now on, I am very impressed with them.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Mikey41 wrote:
    Vittoria Rubino Pros - as an all-rounder, I find them much better than GP4000Ss and can be had for £34 a pair.
    I'm running both of them just now. The 4000 on the best bike and the Rubinos on the winter/commuter. They are both excellent, neither have punctured so far and they ride well. The 4000 are faster, but there's not a massive difference between them. Both are way better than the stock tyres I had.

For the price they are, the commuter will be staying on Rubinos from now on, I am very impressed with them.

I can't detect a difference (either perceived or measured) in speed between the two (and I could between Gators and 4ks) but there is a massive difference (in my reasonably extensive experience) in puncture resistance. And that, along with the great price, makes the Rubinos my favourite tyre.
  • Heh. A mate has broken another bottom bracket, this time on his new bike and it's a Hollowtech 2 which I happen to have a spare one of.

Only - he's been thinking about (note: THINKING) about changing his compact for a triple... and I have my old Hollowtech 2 105 triple chainset and FD. So now all he needs is a new pair of 105 triple shifters and he's sorted. One 2 minute convo and he's gone from a new BB to a complete 'new' crankset. Whoops.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Heh. A mate has broken another bottom bracket, this time on his new bike and it's a Hollowtech 2 which I happen to have a spare one of.

Only - he's been thinking about (note: THINKING) about changing his compact for a triple... and I have my old Hollowtech 2 105 triple chainset and FD. So now all he needs is a new pair of 105 triple shifters and he's sorted. One 2 minute convo and he's gone from a new BB to a complete 'new' crankset. Whoops.

He only needs the left shifter KB
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • but they have to match...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I'm also on the verge of a spending spree. Have the items in my basket waiting on me pulling the trigger.

Just not sure whether to get a winter jacket and long sleeved jersey (in addition to the one I have) or just one of them.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Well, having won some Evans voucher to the tune of £250 I've been looking at what to buy. I can see me spending significantly more than that, and not just from Evans. It starts with a bit of research on what to buy, then you realise a better option is on sale elsewhere, so the vouchers wait. So, I do a bit more research...
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Well, having won some Evans voucher to the tune of £250 I've been looking at what to buy. I can see me spending significantly more than that, and not just from Evans. It starts with a bit of research on what to buy, then you realise a better option is on sale elsewhere, so the vouchers wait. So, I do a bit more research...
    Don't Evans price match?
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I was looking at what I would need to get my workhorse back up to scratch:
    New front wheel
    New headset
    New fork
    New chainring (maybe rings if I investigate fully)
    New chain
    New cassette
    New bartape

Realistically: New bike!
    Good news folks. I will be getting a visit from the NBF! It will be a cheap workhorse but for my budget I've found an alu 105 triple with rack mounts because I need to get into this pannier malarkey.
    I'm not overly fond of the paint job but I like the look of my current workhorse's raw alu frame, so I'll strip this one too.

I've got to confirm the size I want as it'll be an online purchase and then the trigger will be pulled.

• veronese68
    MacLeod113 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Don't Evans price match?
    Yes, but there are a few things I've got my eye on they don't stock. I am just being unreasonable and over analytical in some of my choices. I do realise it's a very nice 'problem' to have.
    Just discovered I now also need a set of threaded 1" forks as my son has crashed his bike and bent them. Fortunately he bounced better than the bike did.
  • daddy0
    So over the weekend I procrastinated somewhat, added items to multiple baskets, removed items, found the cheaper elsewhere, removed from one basket and added to another and then repeated until gone midnight last night!!!!

In total I spent £335 on 4 tyres, 6 tubes, 2 wheels (Fulcrum 5), 2 pairs of overshoes, gloves, neck warmer, oil, carbon gel and some link pliers.

Tyres from Merlin - cheers for the tip again MRS
    Wheels and oil from Ribble
    The rest from Wiggle
  • veronese68
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Good news folks. I will be getting a visit from the NBF!
    Yay!!!
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Fortunately he bounced better than the bike did.
    Glad to hear!! :shock:
  • EKE_38BPM
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Just discovered I now also need a set of threaded 1" forks as my son has crashed his bike and bent them. Fortunately he bounced better than the bike did.

You can have the fork from my Banana if you want.

• veronese68
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Ooh, that's probably big enough for his frame. What would you like for it? Were you not going to resurrect it at some point though?
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

61531844.kzGIGWck.jpg
  • veronese68
    I really hope you took that picture specially for that comment. :-)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    so i want to buy a stages powermeter, however that means i need to get a matching set of cranks for my commuter...

low and behold i now have a set of 170mm ultegra cranks and ive gone standard instead of compact this time. Its all about the pro look isnt that right willy?

which means i have two spare pairs of cranks... and no bikes for them
  • EKE_38BPM
    Veronese68 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Ooh, that's probably big enough for his frame. What would you like for it? Were you not going to resurrect it at some point though?
    Veronese68 wrote:
    You can have it in exchange for a bread maker!

I'll be in dirty SLondon on saturday so PM/text me your address and I'll drop it round.