Boardman Team FS - Replacement front wheel bearing - Beware!

stueyscott
stueyscott Posts: 112
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Just a quick note for information for all Boardman Team FS 2013 owners out there.

If you are looking to replace your front wheel bearings, either yourself or through Halfords, beware they are not a standard size available in the UK!!

Halfords have suggested that they can replace the hub at a cost of £50 but they do not, in their own admission, keep the bearings on their central stock list, i.e. they can not get them either!!!

The code on the bearings is XERO MR18307, this is the same as DT Swiss 6903 (18mm) and ABI 6003. The dimensions are ID 18mm, OD 30mm and width 7mm.

You can however order them from America via Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E75 ... os_product

I've ordered some today at a cost of £12.92 including postage. Only down side 10 to 20 day delivery.

The big question is why do Halfords sell bikes that they do not stock parts for - Mr Boardman care to explain?

In fact the support from Halfords (except for the one guy) has been very poor! I After having 3 replacement 2008 FS pro frames and now hassle with replacment parts for the replacment 2013 model, I personally will never buy a Boardman again - no matter how good they are to ride!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You might want to change your sig.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Question to the op, did the monkey in Halfords give you that useless bit of info.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • Admin - Sorry but the reference to the DT swiss bearing was made including (18mm) all the links are to 17mm, a common variation of the same bearing. Unless i'm missing something obvious then I stand by my origional post!

Having measured the bearings with a set of electronic callipers (three or more times to make sure) they read 18mm on the internal bore. (this was done with the bearing removed from the wheel)

I'll go back tonight and measure them again. If i'm wrong i'm wrong (which I hope I am) as £2.50 off ebay is better than £3 from America.
  • I put these 2 x 68042RS Budget Rubber Sealed Thin Section Deep Groove Ball Bearing 20x32x7mm (61804-2RS1-EU) = £6.84
    into the front wheel
    and
    1 x 68032RS Budget Rubber Sealed Thin Section Deep Groove Ball Bearing 17x26x5mm (61803-2RS1-EU) = £3.00
    1 x FAG 60002RSR Rubber Sealed Deep Groove Ball Bearing 10x26x8mm (6000-2RSR-FAG) = £2.91
    into back wheel my 2010 Boardman FS pro without too much bother and it runs silky smooth. all from simply bearings with cheap postage! the newer bike may well have a different hub if you need that size...
  • Kimble. I wish it was that simple. My 2008/2010 model was the same. Unfortunately the thru axle on the front has changed from the 20mm to a 15mm.

I've just measured the bearing again and It is 18mm ID (bore)

The 17mm /30mm/ 7mm pointed out in an earlier post will not fit (unless 17mm is the new 18mm in the world of bearings)

Rant justified for the moment I think.....I await the bearings from America with eager anticipation....
  • Quick update.

Halfords head office response when questioned about selling bikes they can not supply parts for, and a request to find out if Boardman have a UK supplier. This was this response.

'Hi Stuart

Thank you for your email. I am sorry you were unable to obtain the bearings you required from store. Boardman do not have anything to do with the manufacture of the bikes, all this is done through Halfords.

It is a formula hub so the bearings are not available separately from our supplier unfortunately, which we agree can cause problems sometimes and is something we are working to resolve with the new models due next week.

We would like to offer you a £10 voucher to go some way to cover the cost you have had to outlay.

If you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards'

So in conclusion as my origional post stated unless a UK supplier is found these bearings are only available outside the UK. Or as was suggested you get a 2014 model as the problem will be fixed! Doesn't help us though!

(Perhaps an apology is in order from forum Admin for a patronising 'warning' message early on - the facts speak for them selves)
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    I thought everyone loves this "buy rubbish and throw away" approach :D. This seems to be improved version where you throw away the whole hub...
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    A 6903 bearing is a 6903 bearing, if the ID is different, it's not a 6903...?
  • I'd go along with that normally but in this case the link I found, which is where I got the information from, mentioned
    the 6903 bearing in relation to DT Swiss hubs but specifically stated that it is the 18mm version???

Your guess is as good as mine. I just know that 6903 17mm don't fit.

I should have bought the Giant Trance instead :-(
  • cooldad
    Maybe you should have got a Giant.
    MR18307 Sealed Cartridge Bearing - For some DT, Bontrager and Giant applications

http://www.bikeman.com/BB8307.html
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    By the way 6003 is ID 17mm/O.D 35mm/Thickness 10mm so not sure about your link.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Quick update

The bearings I ordered from America about 10 days ago arrived yesterday.

(Enduro MR18307 LLB A3 C3)

10 / 15 minutes to fit. They work a treat.

So in summary, despite what your local Halfords bike tech, and others (Forum Admin guy!) tell you, the bearing size is 18mm x 30mm x 7mm and neither Halfords or any other UK supplier (that i could find - and i tried!) currently stock or source this size bearing. You can only get them from America (Possibly other EU countries as well).

You therefore have two options, replace the hub or order from America at the moment. 10 day delivery is not great but better than the 'shrugged shoulder - it'll be sorted on the new bike' approach from Halfords.

Cheers

Stu
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    Bit cheeky but how do you get access to the bearings? I've not tried yet and don't want to completely shag the hub up trying.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I'm not sure asking an angry man will help!
  • cooldad
    I think the fact he hasn't logged on since the last post makes it more pointless.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    ah didn't know that, so may as well hi jack the thread then! do you know? cant seem to find the answer
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA