Dam farmers cutting Hawthorn hedges! punctures!

iDad
iDad Posts: 68
edited September 2013 in MTB general
Getting seriously fed up of farmers cutting the Hawthorn hedges 

Two punctures in less than 4miles! And with Slime in the tubes too  pulled out the thorns as soon as I realised the rear tire was going down still didn’t make a blind bit of difference!
Had the same thing a few months ago on the Marshbrook MTB marathon in the rear tire!
3 new tubes in since fitting the tires hmmmm

Obviously preferable to avoid the trails where the Hawthorns are being cut but realistically they link the 25, 30 & 40 mile routes I know around my local area (Worksop-Clumber park-Sherwood forest)

I’m running Schwalbe Hans Dampf Pacestar rear/ Trailstar front its always the rear I’m puncturing. Pressure around 35-40psi

I know the HD’s are TLR but I can’t really afford to go Tubeless anytime soon with the current rims and don’t really want to be mending punctures in the dark on my night rides.

I’ve had the Slime in each tube I’ve ever used on bikes and I’ve either been lucky to avoid punctures or have them seal as soon as I’ve pulled the thorn out.
However after the last few outings I’m starting to lose the faith with the “Slime”…..so what would be a better more reliable option for filling the tubes with to preventing punctures?

Comments

• You can't blame the farmers. They have to cut hedges and to protect wildlife they aren't allowed to do it during the summer months.
    Slime is rubbish. Best option is a proper tubeless set up with a good sealant.
  • iDad
    In fairness it was more of a rant….MTB’ing obviously increases the risk of punctures by the terrain we ride over.

As said previously current budget – “poor single guy with an ex and child to provide for” – won’t stretch to new wheels to go for tubeless so looking for next best tubed solutions.
  • Don't worry about it. Another week or two and it wont be a problem.
  • Try a different sealant, I use Fenwicks aritight inside the tubes. I'm not going to say I haven't had a puncture yet (oh damn, I said it) but haven't been near any hawthorn trees either!
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • iDad
    Don't worry about it. Another week or two and it wont be a problem.

You’re probably right…..all the thorns will probably in my tires and fingers lol
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    If it makes you feel any better, a few years ago I got a puncture (from a hawthorn) and rounded my front axle trying to fix, had to hammer out and get a new axle.

I just don't take my bike where it happens, saves raging for a bit of a detour.