What do I need to know about buying spokes?

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I trashed my back wheel in a falling-off-the-top-of-the-car-at-60mph incident last weekend (after the ride :oops: ) and I'm trying to come up with a cost effective way of replacing it. It was the only thing on the bike worth anything (13 yo Jamis that's not in its first flush of youth) so I may just buy a new bike. 26 / 650 / 29 ... another thread

It's a Stans ZTR355 rim on a Hope hub. Chap at the bike shop quoted me £25 for a rebuild if I supplied the parts but to definitely replace the spokes.

I've taken spokes off drive side / non drive side and they're (a bit surprisingly) the same length at 265mm. Plain gauge, not sure what gauge exactly. Can someone recommend a spoke retailer of appropriate black plain spokes in quantities of 32? Ebay can do them for £15 or so. Does brand matter?

What do you think of rebuilding your own back wheel with no jig and limited experience? I did do one a few months back for a pubbe bike (I believe the folks on LFGSS call them 'beaters') and it's a bit wobbly and the odd spoke seems loose already BUT I reused spokes, nipples and rim and I think a new build would be a better job.

If I lace the rim up and fail to make a flat job of it I might just take it back to the bike shop and tell them to service it (maybe £10?). Or I could just buy a back wheel, not too bothered about running it tubeless so a Mavic on Shimano cheapy comes in at £50 or so. Will it be good enough for trail centre bashing?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Decent hub and rim so I'd go with a decent spoke, butted (thinner in the middle) are lighter but cost more, get some DT Swiss and it should only cost you circa £15-20.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Alpina double-butted spokes are 30p each from Sdeals - more than adequate for the job
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Even cheaper from Cycle Basket. That would be my choice too.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Alpina/ACI are excellent. Go for double butted 14/15 gauge.