Forget SS conversions. Turn your old bike into a shotgun...

Bi50N
Bi50N Posts: 87
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
Inbetween commuting to work by bike, I'm at work. Which for me means being a brand manager in the videogame industry, working most recently on a game called Metro: Last Light.

Short version - it's a post apocalyptic shooter, set in Moscow, based on the novels by Russian author Dmitry Glukhovsky, and made by a Ukrainian studio called 4A Games, the creative minds behind S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

One of the most interesting things about it are the weapon designs - they're all hand-made, cobbled together from scavenged parts. The Creative Director there has a background in engineering, and all the designs are based on mechanically sound principles. So they should work in 'real life.'

A few months back, a New Zealand website invited readers to design a weapon in the 'Metro' style - the winning entry was a multi-barrelled shotgun made from bicycle parts. As a cyclist it kinda caught my eye, I sent it to the studio they actually built it in game. But as per the above, it would potentially work in real life...

Here's the design, full story linked below. Food for thought next time you pick up a classic Raleigh frame on ebay. Single Speed conversion? Or shotgun?

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/pc/features/g523936f6c3fc3/Gameplanet-readers-winning-weapon-design-features-in-latest-Metro-Last-Light-DLC/

3696557.jpg

Hi-res verison - http://cdn.gameplanet.co.nz/art/full/3696557.jpg

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    Not quite so strange when you consider the heritage of BSA for example.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    If you need a perfectly legal, close combat urban weapon, you can always use a car :wink:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Barteos wrote:
    If you need a perfectly legal, close combat urban weapon, you can always use a car :wink:
    or a D-lock :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Fantastic game. Can't see myself building one of those though!
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    right we've got a rlj in another thread, please send cutting dimensions :D

Thanks for sharing this artwork, I don't think I've got newer Last Light in my ever growing Steam collection.
    I don't play them any more now I cycle but, cool design!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Seatpost diameters are 27mm ish.
    12g shotgun is 18.5
    You need to load a 4 guage, which is is the classic elephant gun.
    The design shown would be more dangerous to the operator. Does it have a long remote control string?