paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    you need to go to specsavers dude, $399 WITH A WIRELESS PLAN

$849 sim free.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    paul_mck wrote:

$849 sim free.

Verizon $19.98/month is just $12 over sim free lowest plan but gives 4g and call/text package so you would be better off taking that plan and couldnt really call it an extra (unless your plan was to buy the phone in the USA and sell here at a profit ?)
    Living MY dream.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I purchased an HTC wildfire from tesco a couple of years ago for not very much dosh and top it up on PAYG. If I'm honest, I use it less and less to the point where it has become almost an emergency phone. I'm not addicted to Facebook or twitter so I'm not restlessly checking every 2 minutes like many people do. It would be kind of nice to have a nice shiny whizzy iPhone or equivalent but I just can't see the need or the point. I like my iPad which I use for internet away from the PC and my iPod which is used as an MP3 player with spotify offline mode . I can't really think that I would want to access the internet away from the house
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    paul_mck wrote:

$849 sim free.
    Still £566 v £709.

£566 + 8% = £611.

Getting closer but still, why?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • paul_mck
    Vat for one thing.
  • daviesee
    paul_mck wrote:
    Vat for one thing.
    So it is the Government making this rip-off Britain.
    Glad we got that cleared up. :P
  • paul_mck
    I'm not sure what your rant is over most things are a little cheaper in the US.
  • daviesee
    paul_mck wrote:
    I'm not sure what your rant is over most things are a little cheaper in the US.
    Phht!
    Call that a rant?
    You've not been paying attention. :wink:
    £100 difference is still £100 I'd rather have to spend elsewhere.
  • paul_mck
    Bar flying over how are you going to get it to you?

If you ship it you've postage + customs fees. Do you fly to Venezuela for 20litres of petrol?
  • Yslen
    Yslen Posts: 55
    How does the S4 compare? Especially with the likes of Strava etc? Is it not a bit laggy?

Laggy in Strava? I can't see how it would be, the S4 is monstrously powerful. My S3 runs it perfectly smoothly, and it was reasonably good on my totally useless old HTC Wildfire (about as powerful as the first iPhone).

The Nexus 4 is the way to go for a bargain phone still though, you could very nearly get three for the price of one iPhone 5c. The only downside I can find to the Nexus is the screen is a little washed out, though the contrast is good and it's very sharp, just a bit lacking in colour. That might just be in comparison to Samsung phones and the garish new iOS iteration though...
  • daviesee
    paul_mck wrote:
    Bar flying over how are you going to get it to you?

If you ship it you've postage + customs fees. Do you fly to Venezuela for 20litres of petrol?
    No.
    We've addressed why it costs more here.
    It is to cover MP's expenses.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Apple.

A triumph of marketing brilliance over technical innovation.

See also: Dyson

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Used to have an Iphone 3GS a while back, happy enough with it.

Needed a new phone this year, ooked at Iphone prices and thought they were ridiculous.

Bought a 200 Euro Nokia Lumia 620 (Thanks to advice on here!) and delighted with it.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Used to have an Iphone 3GS a while back, happy enough with it.

Needed a new phone this year, ooked at Iphone prices and thought they were ridiculous.

Bought a 200 Euro Nokia Lumia 620 (Thanks to advice on here!) and delighted with it.

This is the thing today, there is simply no need to buy top end unless there is a very specific performance feature you want. In the early days of smart phones, the technology was evolving so quickly, there were significant improvements in functionality. Nowadays, you get seriously diminishing returns when opting for a £500+ plus phone vs a £200 one.

Only reason to stick with iphone at that cost is because you've already invested in that environment. It's your money, your choice.

Can anybody name a genuine functional difference bewtween more recent handsets and those of 2-3 years ago beyond screen size and processing power. Most of it's fancy stuff that you'll play with but never use in earnest imho.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Yep, when one of the big new features in the advertising is that a group of you with the same phone can all pump out the same song I think upgrading has become pointless.
  • Apple iPhone, like it or loathe it, it's a phone; at the end of the day, who really cares!

If you like it, buy it, if you don't, shut up.

PS. I don't have and never have had an iPhone.

For the record, just look at likes of Ericsson, Nokia, Blackberry, all massive phone manufacturers 10 years ago, and now look at them; Samsung will rule the market, they are such a massive company they can afford to make next to no profit on anything they make from phones to washing machines to construction machinery; they'll price everyone out of the market before long.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Apple iPhone, like it or loathe it, it's a phone; at the end of the day, who really cares!

If you like it, buy it, if you don't, shut up.

PS. I don't have and never have had an iPhone.

For the record, just look at likes of Ericsson, Nokia, Blackberry, all massive phone manufacturers 10 years ago, and now look at them; Samsung will rule the market, they are such a massive company they can afford to make next to no profit on anything they make from phones to washing machines to construction machinery; they'll price everyone out of the market before long.

It's more than that, the likes of Nokia failed to anticipate and react to the Smartphone trend, Ericsson got bought by Sony and Blackberry started a new trend - e-mailing handsets - but failed to move the game on beyond that, and retained a platform that no-one wanted any more.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    It's more than that, the likes of Nokia failed to anticipate and react to the Smartphone trend, Ericsson got bought by Sony and Blackberry started a new trend - e-mailing handsets - but failed to move the game on beyond that, and retained a platform that no-one wanted any more.

Exactly, Ericsson had a 40% share of the mobile market 20 years ago, Nokia more than that 10 years ago, Blackberry (RIM) a big chunk of a "special market" 10 years ago.

Apple has a big chunk of a special market right now today, but that's slowly changing, their slow rollout of new technology will be overrun by something new if they don't sort it out, fingerprint security is not new technology and is pointless, but now Apple have done it, probably Samsung will copy. However, looking at IOS7, they've ripped off loads of android features and bits that clever custom GUI android apps have been doing for many years (i.e. 3D background).

Apple can't win the battle against Android and before long, something else will come along that will be better than both; just wait and see.... 10 years ago, no-one would have thought Nokia would be ever ditch handsets.
  • SecretSam wrote:

To be fair, Nokia invented the smartphone market, the likes of the N95 were ahead of their time, allowing custom software etc. However Nokia being the company they are/were, completely failed to capitalise on it, not rolling out an app store etc, and when they did it didn't work properly.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Purveyor of "up" :)