Saint brakes, leaking problems

trigger118
trigger118 Posts: 191
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I recently bought some Saint brakes (M820) online and in bits (caliper, hose and lever seperate) because it was cheaper that way basically!

I put the front together and bled it no problem.

The rear one I put together same as on the front and then tried to bleed it, I then noticed that fluid was leaking out where the hose meets the lever. I assumed that the olive hadnt deformed properly so there was a little gap for fluid to escape. I ordered a new olive and connector pin and tried that and had exactly the same problem again, other than just doing the same again with another olive I'm at a loss!

Any suggestions from anyone?
Cheers
2010 Norco Shore 2
2007 Commencal MaxMax
2013 Nukeproof Mega AM

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Damage to either of the olive seats (in the lever or the nut) is the most likely issue, simple visual inspection.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I cant see any damage to either, however its my first time building brakes like this so ill take them down the LBS and see if they see any damage, I'll report back after!
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • well the LBS cant see anything obvious, he reckons it looks like the Olive has been twisted though which would imply damage to one of the seats, gonna try a new nut and then if that doesnt work then i guess its a warranty job on the lever.
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You get it wrong and expect a warranty?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Sorry completely got the wrong end of what The Rookie was saying, I thought he meant damage as in manufacturing fault? Don't know what I did wrong if thats the case, like I said the front one worked fine first time and I did exactly the same thing. I'm not trying to pass blame, just trying to learn.
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • The Rookie
    If the Olive didn't go in straight, sounds like user error.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • absolutely, not denying that, the guy at the LBS said it looks like it got caught on something and then twisted. When you guys do it do you put the olive on the hose or in the lever or what? I had it on the hose, connector pin pushed in the end of the hose and then started tightening the nut.

What would you guys recommend as the best way to do it in future judging from your experience?
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds about right.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Olive on hose with barb in the end, push all the way into the lever and then do up the nut while keeping the hose pushed in, if it slips out the hose end can end up under the Olive which guarentees a leak.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    also the hose does need to be cut square.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ok cheers for your help guys, will have another play.
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    trigger118 wrote:
    Ok cheers for your help guys, will have another play.
    dont play.

download and read the info on shimanos web site.

they are not difficult brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown