Dropper post in work stand?

lee woodhams
lee woodhams Posts: 70
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hiya.

Those with a dropper post, be it Giant, Rock shox, Fox etc, do you put them in a work stand like a normal seat post?

Cheers.

Comments

• No. I clamp mine as lightly as possible on the top tube. Not supposed to clamp on the top tube really but less of a potential disaster (if you're careful) than subjecting your expensive seat post to clamping and bending forces.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • My recollection is that Rockshox ones are supposed to be clamped by the lower (non moving) section. You won't damage it if you are careful.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    clamp the nose of your saddle instead
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • If anything that's more likely to damage the post, I don't know if they're designed to be loaded in that direction.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    If anything that's more likely to damage the post, I don't know if they're designed to be loaded in that direction.

Perhaps, doesn't seem to have had any adverse effects on the gravity dropper and KS posts on my bikes... I always work on them this way, they are both around 2 years old
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • SRAM advise unclamping the seat post, raise up until the minimum and then clap the exposed bottom part of the seat post.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or just bung in a slave rigid post of the right size?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The simplest ideas are the best ideas.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • That doesn't work if the dropper's hose runs internally.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Just hang the bike on the clamp from the saddle? Just remember it's not held tight when working on the bike.....
  • Huckfinn wrote:
    SRAM advise unclamping the seat post, raise up until the minimum and then clap the exposed bottom part of the seat post.

This ^^
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • That doesn't work if the dropper's hose runs internally.

The only downside to the otherwise far superior stealth,

I clamp the dropper bit tbh, if it is strong enough to support my 15st it is strong enough to support the bike hanging from it........right? :p
  • Not really - when you're on the bike your pushing down on it (what it was designed for) not pulling up on it! I'd just go with SRAM's instructions myself...if I ever get a workstand. Spent yesterday bike building and my back's feeling it this morning
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8