L'Equipe: 10 1/2 million euro WT team budgets (SKY x2)

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited October 2013 in Pro race
The true ?minimum? cost of a world tour team
anyone got the breakdown key ?

1236296_10151610595482066_1895064249_n.png

Comments

• I Know Katusha spend more than this on travel costs alone!!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    What a f ucking joke when there are a huge number of cyclists out the back door from teams folding.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    French law requires teams to take on riders as employees and jobs are heavily taxed in France

Anyone know if this means other countries riders dont have to pay tax?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    What a f ucking joke when there are a huge number of cyclists out the back door from teams folding.

"for what it’s worth Manchester United’s wage bill should be enough to fund the entire bill for all 507 World Tour riders."

now that is a joke....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • frenchfighter
    rubertoe wrote:

"for what it’s worth Manchester United’s wage bill should be enough to fund the entire bill for all 507 World Tour riders."

now that is a joke....

It most certainly is too.

Glad I am not one of the people supporting the funding of these outrageous sums.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    French law requires teams to take on riders as employees and jobs are heavily taxed in France

Yes, but usually much less...Arguably this is the real cause of 2 speed cycling for the French....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Having a budget in one currency and expenses others means a foreign exchange risk. As we see it’s provided a bonanza of £252,000 for 2012 rather than a loss in the previous year. This is a sum is equivalent to the budget needed to run a top women’s team for a year. The budget is so large that an un-budgeted accidental gain from currency fluctuations is enough to run a women’s team.
    :shock:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

They pay tax, but the French tax laws are hard on the French teams. Inner Ring wrote about it a few years ago http://inrng.com/2010/08/lets-talk-tax/

I don't understand why French aren't officially based in another country (like several Italian teams are)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    Thanks, so yes they pay tax similar to a regular working person but the cost to the employer is significantly higher. I didnt think of it before as the reason for French teams not having the lucra to hire some top names.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,735
    RichN95 wrote:

They pay tax, but the French tax laws are hard on the French teams. Inner Ring wrote about it a few years ago http://inrng.com/2010/08/lets-talk-tax/

I don't understand why French aren't officially based in another country (like several Italian teams are)

French public don't tolerate that kind of behaviour like other nations do.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Thanks, so yes they pay tax similar to a regular working person but the cost to the employer is significantly higher. I didnt think of it before as the reason for French teams not having the lucra to hire some top names.

Impressively ambiguous typo, betraying an obsession with either lucre, lycra, or both.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    French public don't tolerate that kind of behaviour like other nations do.
    The French public don't tolerate lots of things. Screw 'em!
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Glad I am not one of the people supporting the funding of these outrageous sums.

Again, I can't believe you work in the City.

God knows what @gselevator would make of you :P

Anyhoo, does this mean we're all cancelling our subscription the the myth that Sky is not one of the biggest budgets?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:

Again, I can't believe you work in the City.

God knows what @gselevator would make of you :P

Anyhoo, does this mean we're all cancelling our subscription the the myth that Sky is not one of the biggest budgets?

Again, there is a difference between and IB and a prop house band you can be a trader without being like the stereotype.

Yeah that gselevator is chuckle worthy...havent looked at it in a while so will take a look now.

Not sure what you mean by your last point?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    The stereotype being people that are capable of observing and making rational, informed decisions and conclusions. Yep, don't fit that.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I don't see a problem with budgets of any team, if you wanna chuck money at something in the pursuit of results, in sport it often works.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763

In terms of buying exposure it's good value for Sky PLC. My dad used to handle fag accounts at an advertising agency in the days when they could directly sponsor sport. I used to ruffle through the paperwork when he was out and the sums of money being spent were enormous. In those days cigarettes where sporty and healthy.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBCyPdEIdOA
  • Pointless them having such a big budget if there's no-one to race against isn't it?