Is this enough training ?

DeanOnO
DeanOnO Posts: 3
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Hi Guys
I'm new to this forum and road cycling. I'm 40 and in pretty good shape. The only cycling I have done up to now is a bit of mountain biking and commute.

My question stems around my brother recently challenged me to take part in the Eden Valley Sportive which takes place in March, and is 60 miles long.
I have very little time to get out on long training rides, due to family and work commitments, but I do have the opportunity to commute during work.
I work at four different locations during the day which take 13mins, 17mins, 20mins and 14mins to cycle to. (get paid mileage for this also :D )
I can do this five days a week if I have to, and can also do a 2hr longer ride once a week.

My main concern is that my commutes are for short duration's, with typically long rests between each ride.
Do you think this is enough to get me round in a reasonable time, or would I need to "Up" the mileage ?
Cheers
DeanOnO

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    The training forum may have better advice, but for 60 miles, you should be able to do something with those hours. use the long 2 hour ride to build up your endurance. The short rides are a bit short if just commuting but you could structure some interval training in some of them - if you don't mind getting a good sweat on, adding a few extra miles to a few of them, and the road conditions/traffic allow for the interval structure.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    On a 2 hour ride you are probably covering half the 60 miles if not more, try and extend the 2 hour ride to maybe 3 to gain more mileage and you should have no problems on the 60.
  • Thanks for replies.
    At gOOse: No I don't mind getting a sweet on during commutes ! When you say "Interval Training" do you mean medium/ high intensity sprints followed by slow or wait at the lights recovery, that sort of thing ?

diamonddog, yes I will try and build up to three hours. When completing longer rides should i aim to finish in pretty good condition ? At the moment when finishing up to two hrs, I don't feel like I have anything left. Is this normal for a beginner or am I pacing wrong ?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    By extending your ride you are building stamina, try and ride for an extra 15mins on the long ride day at maybe an easier pace to start with then build up from there. It won't take that long for you to get to 3 hour rides and be covering it at the same speed as you do the 2 hour ride. Remember the sportive you are doing is not meant to be a race. :)