Given a road bike, how good is it and whats it worth?

Silenced
Silenced Posts: 3
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I was given this bike as payment for me doing work for a friend but I have no knowledge as to road bikes so I was wondering if you guys could give me some information and what the bike is worth? I don't know whether its worth me selling the bike or not depending on the value. I would ride it occasionally but seems silly to have an expensive bike that I'd never ride.

Here are some pictures - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Any more information needed please ask

Thanks!

Comments

• Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    It's a CX bike and it looks damn good to me! I have no idea what it's worth, but I bet it cost some to build it to that spec.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Mikey41 wrote:
    It's a CX bike and it looks damn good to me! I have no idea what it's worth, but I bet it cost some to build it to that spec.

Tiagra with sora shifters isn't exactly top spec.
    More problems but still living....
  • Phil_D wrote:

It's not stolen, don't worry. I know where it was purchased from, the guy who bought and gave me it has had it a while and ridden it about 3 miles and then just never rode it again.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Looks like a self build project, can't see a manufacturer putting a 53/39 on a cross bike, maybe a compact CS.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I'd say £300-400, it's pretty dated and fairly low spec. If you're selling then now is a good time to do it as cross season is starting and there's always people looking for a cheap one to give cross a try
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    amaferanga wrote:
    Mikey41 wrote:

Tiagra with sora shifters isn't exactly top spec.
    True, but carbon cranks can't be cheap. It's a collection of bits isn't it, would have cost more than buying an equivalent complete bike.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It is an oddity. Road gearing but hefty off road tyres. I wonder where the guy bought it from ?
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    cougie wrote:
    It is an oddity. Road gearing but hefty off road tyres. I wonder where the guy bought it from ?

it's a cross bike, Kinesis Crosslight, nothing odd about it!.. thats what cross bikes have, road gearing and off road tyres!
  • saprkzz wrote:
    it's a cross bike, Kinesis Crosslight, nothing odd about it!.. thats what cross bikes have, road gearing and off road tyres!

53-39 is not exactly standard on a cross bike. Looks like a fairly generic crosslight with an odd chainset on there.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Better hope that the work that you did for a friend was nothing too extensive because quotations of £300 for the Kinesis would be not far wide of the mark in my opinion.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Silenced wrote:
    I was given this bike as payment for me doing work for a friend

How much would you normally have charged for the work you did?
    saprkzz wrote:
    cougie wrote:

No they don't :lol:

53/39 on cross tyres - no wonder he didn't ride it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Exactly - I dont know when sapkrzz last went off road - but there is precious little need for 53x12 sprinting through mud.