New, non vented SPD shoes

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
I get cold tooties. This morning I had my woolie boolies on and still my feet were cold and its not even that chilly out yet. My current LG shoes have meshy bits on the top and I reckon that this is why my feet are getting cold. They also don't help in the rain, especially when someone nicks your overshoes from the drying room at work.

So, the Shimano XC50N seems to not have vents on top and may keep my tooties nice and warm (and a little drier). Are there any alternatives out there? Or should I just gaffer tape my current shoes? ;)

Oh yes, SPD only, I like to be able to walk into the office without falling over.
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• menthel
    spasypaddy wrote:
    just get some northwave winter boots

Seems a bit extreme, but I will have a look. I would prefer 1 pair of shoes for the whole year personally. Unless I take up MTB of course.

The sidi dominators look nice...
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I use a pair half a size bigger in the winter to accommodate thicker socks.

Thicker socks, means tighter shoes which restricts circulation and leads to cold feet.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • menthel
    Thanks. Why do I get the feeling I may end up with 2 pairs of shoes? ;)
    RIP commute...
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    yes but then in the proper depths of winter you'll thank me.

you're planning on buying a new pair of shoes, get a pair that cost £135 that will last you about 5 or 6 years... and will also prolong the life of your normal shoes.
  • menthel
    Northwave do a number of different MTB pairs. I like the look of the bright yellow commuters!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-arcti ... gtx-boots/
    RIP commute...
  • menthel
    spasypaddy wrote:
    those are also the extra warm ones

I think I might wait for the camera reorganisation to calm down and then buy a pair with the excess money. Mmm, toasty feet.
    RIP commute...
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    spasypaddy wrote:

+1
    (Although mine are still in the box from summer purchase. Looking forward to warm toes & no overshoe faff.)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    good idea!

honestly trust me on this one you wont regret it!

i have two pairs, one road and one mountain bike.

Put them with some thick winter socks and your feet will think they are on the beach!

Plus they are waterproof
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited September 2013
    is it just me that hated my winter boots and reverted back to overshoes then?

have you considered some toe covers?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Perhaps it was the model, Shimano mw80s. You could feel the extra weight and the bit that's meant to stop water getting in the top just wasn't that comfortable.

Infact I didn't even use them last winter, maybe once and back in the box. Size 45 if anyone is interested, not that I've really sold them well :lol:
  • menthel
    I think buying from wiggle will give me a chance to try them on and work out if I am comfy. Collect+ makes sending things back easy.
    RIP commute...
  • iPete wrote:
    is it just me that hated my winter books and reverted back to overshoes then?

I almost never use my Shimano MW80s but use shoes and overshoes instead. Easier to put on and more flexible in use. And lighter overall
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    menthel wrote:
    Thanks. Why do I get the feeling I may end up with 2 pairs of shoes? ;)

I think you've misunderstood the earlier posts.

They were suggesting you wear 2 pairs of SOCKS, not 2 pairs of shoes.... :lol: :twisted: :wink:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • asprilla
    iPete wrote:
    is it just me that hated my winter books and reverted back to overshoes then?

Nope, me too.

Besides, Giro don't to a winter boot and they are what fit me.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Another -1 for the Northwaves. Maybe it's just that mine didn't quite fit, but I'm back to some decent overshoes and my normal shoes underneath. Never struck me as very waterproof round the tops, either.

I did quite like my previous, Diadora winter boots; they were quite waterproof, but disintegrated after a couple of winters.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DrLex wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

+1
    (Although mine are still in the box from summer purchase. Looking forward to warm toes & no overshoe faff.)

I have the Northwaves - I wear them with Woolie Boolies and BBB Ultraflex overshoes and I still get cold feet. If I thought the Artic version would make any difference I'd buy a pair but I suspect it won't! Still, that's poor circulation for you....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Rolf F wrote:
    DrLex wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

+1

I have the Northwaves - I wear them with Woolie Boolies and BBB Ultraflex overshoes and I still get cold feet. If I thought the Artic version would make any difference I'd buy a pair but I suspect it won't! Still, that's poor circulation for you....

And the colder Northern regions.

{Southern Jessie}
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    I have some endura neoprene overshoes which keep my toes toasty and keep all but the heaviest rain out to boot (ahem).

Protip : thicker socks may actually restrict circulation and make your feet feel colder. Less is sometimes more.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • I have a pair of now discontinued Lake boots which have done two winters so far. They are breathable so you can wear them on really wet days in the summer but windproof (eVent). In the winter, I put two pairs of merino wool socks on and I'm toasty. I got them for about £55 in Cyclesurgery IIRC. The only downside is that they're not particularly stiff but that may be the particular model I had since they were billed as being easy to walk in!

I noticed that the neoprene upper is starting to come away around the top of the ankle so will have to see if I can stitch it. Someone mentioned that Lake were back in business and making new boots for this winter so might have to check them out if the old ones can't be fixed.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Northwave Farenheit here, been through 2 winters so far and still holding up strong.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    edited September 2013
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    I got some Answer Kashmir boots for about £50 from chain reaction. Coupled with a pair of woolie boolies I love them to bits. I too suffered from painfully cold feet in my vented spd's. They are a slight faff to get into with the neoprene gaiter but nothing too tricky. They are also a little bit "hobbly" to walk in compared to my regular shoes despite having a recessed cleat. I think it is because of the sole being a bit narrow where it meets the ground.
  • asprilla
    I have a pair of now discontinued Lake boots which have done two winters so far. They are breathable so you can wear them on really wet days in the summer but windproof (eVent). In the winter, I put two pairs of merino wool socks on and I'm toasty. I got them for about £55 in Cyclesurgery IIRC. The only downside is that they're not particularly stiff but that may be the particular model I had since they were billed as being easy to walk in!

I noticed that the neoprene upper is starting to come away around the top of the ankle so will have to see if I can stitch it. Someone mentioned that Lake were back in business and making new boots for this winter so might have to check them out if the old ones can't be fixed.

My first attempt at winter proofing my feet was a pair of Lake CX eVent boots but they just ended up full of water. The ankle cuffs wouldn't close tightly enough.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    http://www.cyclesurgery.com/lake-lx140- ... sting=true

I know Asprilla said about Lake - but cheap at cycle surgery
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Personally, I didnt like the feel of the Northwaves. Bought Shimano MW81s and they are fantastic. Wore them on some REALLY muddy MTB rides, foot down in all sorts of slop but still warm and dry. Cycled in the snow and still warm with one pair of woolie boolies.

Also have XC50 for the summer - found my akles started to sweat in the boots once it got warmer. Still wear non-vented shoes in the summer because it still rains and its still mud & puddles on MTB routes.

Hated completing rides with wet stinking feet when I had non-waterproof shoes before. Tried Seaskinz socks and they are great but not as good.
  • menthel
    Thanks all. However, all this talk of wet and mud has got me looking at mountain bikes...
    RIP commute...