Bike to Small

rustyl33
rustyl33 Posts: 4
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

Been an off roader with my beloved Giant XTC 3.5 for about 3 years which I purchased from a local and established shop, and ridden almost every week since. Not knowing much about bikes, I took their advise and purchased this bike, and to be honest Im out of the loop with all of the bike tech, I just love the riding. However, its not until Ive started to ride in groups Ive noticed my mike is a little small, and looking at my frame size it is labbeled as "S". According to the Giant web site S is for people between 5`1 and approx 5`6. Well Im 5`10 and talking to other riders and sitting on their Bikes its does seem that much better, everything I read, and people I talk to say I should be using a M or L frame.

Question is does it really matter? I do feel a little more crampt on my bike comparing it to the larger frames, and Ive not really noticed over the last 3 years until Ive compared. I love my Giant, best bike I have ever had, so the question is... do I invest in a bigger bike.... or keep mine and get it serviced as planned....

Also, if a new bike is recommended, as mentioned I dont have a clue, but would like a bike similar to my XTC with a budget of £500-600.

Cheers, Lee.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not a lot, and if you didn't notice for three years I'd say live with it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    as cooldad said.

do you enjoy riding it? have you had any problems whilst riding it? if not then continue to enjoy riding it
  • Thanks Guys, as mentioned, bike has seemed fine, always wanted the saddle a little higher but have it up as far as it goes. Always reading thats its "imperative" to have the right size frame, but never understood why, but from your comments guess its not that much of an issue!

Lee.
  • I think it's better to be slightly small than large, you can always put the seat up a bit and slide it back on the rails, as you already do.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the saddle needs to be higher for your leg length, then get a longer seatpost.

The frame length needs to match to your upper body/arms (to give total cockpit length), so ironically, for any given height you are, the longer your legs the smaller the frame you need!

If it feels right, its the right size!

I'm 5'9" and ride a 16" (small) Carrera.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • As said already, I wouldn't worry.
    One of my riding buddies (who has been riding competitively for 8 years), rides a bike that is 'too small' for him according to the manufacturer guides.
    However it suits him and he can kick our arses all over the trails and hills.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • thanks all.

Lee.