Cervelo R3

2»

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    You do in fact have yourself a rare 2013 R5 repainted and badged as an R3 you sir are a lucky lucky bastard :lol:

I have the 2012 R5 which is almost identical and is AWESOME

ENJOY 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Boxsters wrote:
    If only I could learn to post pictures correctly :?

10406331293_7ef3e3f1c9_b.jpg

10406121804_c7dcc16c92_b.jpg

10406159805_f68712782e_b.jpg
  • Nice spec there!

With regards to the brake squealing it does get better over time, but you can set some toe-in on the front of the brake pads to alleviate it as much as possible. I wedge a credit card right at the back of the pads when setting them up so you get around 1mm toe in at the front. Your pads will wear more quickly this way so they do require continual adjustment for the first 400 odd miles
  • Boxsters
    Boxsters Posts: 325
    Thanks for the help posting the pictures and for the advice on toeing in the brakes.

I do feel very lucky knowing it is a repainted R5 especially as I put the whole thing together for less than the rrp of the R5 frame :D
  • Great looking bike. Lucky you with the r5 frame. I really llike the Cervelo style.

How do the praxis works shift?
  • Boxsters
    Because of the weather I haven't been able to test it properly yet but I will go for a decent ride this weekend and report back after.
  • ledeev
    ledeev Posts: 208
    Beautiful R3. Really classy and understated.
  • cerv50
    cerv50 Posts: 272
    Nice upgrades Boxsters, love riding mine.

Freaked me out little when first riding in the wet as I thought I could hear something rubbing. Looked and checked wheels, brakes chainring etc then realised it was water spray off the road hitting the underside of the downtube of the front wheel. The carbon must be really thin (strong though) to make such a noise. Going to abuse mine unfortunately and put mudguards on it as club mates don't like getting sprayed lol
  • Boxsters
    Wow never heard of water spray making noise on the down tube. I hope the frames not too thin :(
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Lovely shots.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Boxster that's a really nice build with some good thought into it. Ultegra brakes and cassette are a great idea. You could have asked for an Ultegra front mech as well frankly.

Only thing that's not congruous on the eye is the chunky saddle clamp on the SLK seatpost. So much thought and design went into the seatstays and the downsized rear mech, the big blob of un-machined, un-sculpted, under-loved saddle clamp is a bit cheap.

Will you be slamming the stem any time soon? Or is that it's final resting place?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Boxsters
    Thanks for your comments FransJacques. I know what you mean about the seat post but my pockets depth do have a limit.

I was meant to have a bike fit but this weekend but due to the weather I just spent time on the 29er. Hopefully I can lower the front end and see if I have to change the stem length.
  • Boxsters
    Does anyone know if I can fit 25mm tyres on the R3 as would like to give them a go for Winter.

Cheers
  • Christ!........please don't ride that lovely thing in a British winter........noooooooooooooo!
  • That is nice :)
  • Boxsters wrote:
    Does anyone know if I can fit 25mm tyres on the R3 as would like to give them a go for Winter.

Cheers

If you do, change the wheels. The Exalith coating is tough but you will see wear in the winter months if you get grit under the pads
  • Boxsters
    That was my thoughts
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    Nice bike!

What do you make of the Ultegra wheels?

Do you have wheels on your other Cervelo to compare?

Cheers.
  • cerv50
    cerv50 Posts: 272
    porker33 wrote:
    Nice bike!

What do you make of the Ultegra wheels?

Do you have wheels on your other Cervelo to compare?

Cheers.

Like the Ultegra wheels especially for what I paid for them. Obviously not the best on the market but perfect for a winter trainer.

Cant really compare the 2 Cervelo's tbh as the other one is a completely different machine. The S5 has Fulrcum Red Wind 50's on it which run really well but am looking around for something else. Got my eye on a pair of HED's but with Christmas so close they may have to wait.